COLD BREAKFAST

She woke up rested and calm, falling asleep again. It seemed she's done nothing but sleep lately. The eternal darkness had a languid effect on her. Tired, exhausted, she could never get used to it. Her energy is constantly drained. Her mortal body deprived of the energy of the sun, nothing to revitalize her with life.

Banye's arms bended around her, his eyelids drawn shut, his breathing deep and purring. It was rare for him to get that kind of sleep.

She can't remember anything else that happened the night before, yanking the cover up frantic. A shudder of relief when she saw her clothes are still on.

Carefully, she twisted around to face him, his arms tightening slowly as if afraid she'll runaway again.

His eyes were open when she tried to slip out of his embrace, he tugged her back in. The ruthless demon moaned affectionately. "Stay in bed for a few more minutes."

"What the hell! I didn't even agree on getting in bed with you...how the heck..." Her fist banged on his muscled chest, pushing and prying away from his capture.

He murmured a soft chuckle and drew her even tighter. "I love your rough cuddling, I can get used to it." He squeezed.

"Are you delirious!" She grunted. "I'm not trying to cuddle, I'm trying to get away from you!"

"Hmm...what for?" A smile yugged on his lips, his breath smelled like honey even in the morning.

"I'm a married woman, why are you doing this to me!?" She demanded.

His eyes turned deadly for an instant blinking them kind right away.

As if the prince of the underworld would care about a human marriage based on law of society. His temperature simmered. "Fei, we're bonded through our souls. That's how much deeper it is than signed human decree. When are you going to realize I'm your rightful mate?"

"What're you talking about? You're the one who bonded our souls together! Fate had nothing to do with it!" She glared, she didn't dare admit she's slowly warming up to him.

He breathes.

"You know what I mean, stop fighting it." He held her for a few more minutes without her fighting him before rolling out of bed.

*****

The dinning room is a long table, a feast of food served, servants standing ready. Nikita sat on one chair along with two more of his high ranking guards, both males, Ying Yue remembered them, they were the same guys who brought Fan back to the palace.

His guards were quiet as they joined their Lord for breakfast. Ying Yue was given her seat next to Banye. Her eyes drifted to Nikita who gave her a playful wink, as if telling her she had fun hunting her the day before.

Ying Yue whipped her head away.

"That's enough, Nikita!" Banye reprimanded. "I' will not tolerate you instigating Fei in my own palace."

"What?" Nikita protested, "I wasn't instigating, I had fun with her yesterday! She gave me a workout for sure."

His mouth tightened, gliding his abysmal glare on her. There's not a hint of kindness on his brutal feature. "You let her get away?" He intoned darkly.

Her mouth hanged, and her heart stumbled a beat, she knew she said a little too much. "U-ummm, she's pretty strong for a mortal."

A shiver went downYing Yue's spine and in an instant the tension in the room shifted, everyone else tensed. Banye's jaws tightened and the entire room seemed to simmer. His gaze drifted over to Ying Yue. "Tell me what you saw, how far did you get."

Ying Yue took a long sip of her chalice, while Banye watched her firmly, his gaze on her luxurious lips pressed on the golden cup. "It was dark, I couldn't see anything. I don't know where I was. I can't really recall anything since I was put to sleep as soon as I was captured." Her voice came out cool and smooth like a well-practiced lie.

Banye groaned unsatisfied, losing his appetite while she refilled her cup with whatever juice that is being served on the table. It doesn't taste like human food, but she'd been staying in the underworld long enough that she could care less anymore of the consequences. Her skin started adapting a pale glimmer on them from lack of sunlight. Her hair darker and smoother than it was, her eyes tend to blend colors of black and brown.

Banye was silent, and so was the rest of his guards, Nikita especially. His hand reached over to Ying Yue's cheek brushing it softly with his folded finger.

"I have to leave and take care of a few things. I shall see you when you I get back." His voice lush with tenderness.

She pressed her lips, saying nothing. She figured out what Banye was doing all those times when he began disappearing constantly. Wang Jian must have broken through the barrier between the mortal world and the underworld. It may as well be him he was fighting yesterday.

Banye got up and left while the two male guards followed him, but Nikita stayed behind, her deep set of alluring eyes glinted as she kept her gaze on Ying Yue. Her body never slackened, ready to pounce if Ying Yue were to do anything funny.

"You just lied to our lord." Nikita said in a flat expressionless tone.

Ying Yue picked up her chopsticks, piling fruits on her plate, for once she felt like she's in control again and she's not a helpless mouse locked up in a small house sealed in magic or a palace with the deadliest guard to prevent her from escaping.

She took a bite of the fruit. The sweet tang of juice danced in her mouth. "He more than likely already knew I lied and he more than likely already knew what I figured out."

"That mortal prince will kill himself trying to get you back. He's no match for our Lord. If he's smart, he should just give up." Intoned Nikita grimly.

Her chopsticks fell out of her hand, Ying Yue dropped them on the plate, she shot up without caring whether Nikita is going to get in her way or not, she's chasing after Banye and prevent him from whatever he planned on doing.