THE GENTLE PRINCE

She can feel it, the pulse of his soul dancing with her own.

Her eyes flicked open to the blanket of welcoming darkness, she knew she's back in the underworld and somehow, she can accept it.

Banye's arm folded loosely around her, his fingers interlaced with hers.

Ying Yue's hand twitched at the sensation of his digits lodged in between hers. His breathing purred, and his warmth pouring into her as natural as if they are sharing the same body.

The scent of his honey breath climbed up her nostrils, inhaling it into her lungs. She opened her eyes.

His eyes were already open lovingly gazing at her, waiting for her to wake up while he wore a soft smile on his lips.

"Welcome back, Ying Yue." He said softly.

"Banye, how?" She breathed as she took in his face.

Ying Yue blinked, a knot formed on her forehead. She can't recall how this all came to be. How she wound up back in the underworld. Her last memory was passing out in her husband's arms, frantic as he tries to get her out of the palace – away from his ignorant and terrified brother.

She remember Jungjae trying to kill her, and yet, there's no anger built up in her chest. No betrayal, only sorrow, because she imagined the terror he must've went through when he was captive by Banye's dead wife inside the cave.

Prince Jungjae only wanted to end it before it spread, and she only wished she didn't caused a conflict between the brothers.

"I brought you back, you we're dying..." His lips pressed on her forehead. "You scared the shit out of me."

"I know...but..."

"But what?" His lips were still brushing her forehead letting it linger there, Banye pulled her closer, hoping she won't protest, and she allowed this to happen – much to his relief.

His own insecurity sometimes gets the best of him. No matter how confident and arrogant, and no matter how much he trusted his own intuition, he's still left conflicted with her show of affection.

"Do you love me, Fei?" He purred, his passion pouring into her eyes. 

Ying Yue blinked distracted, for a moment she considered whether he lost his mind, asking this after what just happened. She ignored him and continued with her concern.

"What about, Jian?" Worry laced her voice, she pushed away a bit. It wasn't a gesture of refusal, but so she can watch his face while he speaks.

His fingers tightened into her hand. Banye is obvious with uneasiness. He would rather avoid this talk right now.

"I left the pretty mortal prince back outside his palace." He said blandly. He fought the urge of frowning with jealousy and distaste.

"You took me from him!" 

Banye shifted her around, so they could finally be face to face. He remained calmed, unusually calm for a demon like him. His hand rested gently on the smalls of her back, holding her there.

"No, not this time, he willingly gave you up." His voice a low whisper.

"No..." Her entire body quivered. She knew it wasn't entirely the truth, there's a lie, or a bit of information being held back. "It's not like him, Jian wouldn't just give up something so easily."

"Fei..." He crooned. "Stop talking about him. When are you going to give me credit?" His brow rose, gentleness never leaving his face. "I saved your life."

"You forced him to give me up!" 

"He made a bargain."

"You forced him into a bargain!" Ying Yue held his stare.

"He wanted you to live and I'm the only one who can save you at the time. I don't work for free. I need a payment, and he willingly gave you up for it!" He said snarling his words softly.

"You would have taken me one way or the other and I would have been back in here dead or alive."

Silence.

"Fei." Banye crooned once again, coaxing her back into his arms.

Something cracked, and a sheet of dark bubble engulfed her into its cocoon. She slid out of his embrace and transported into a void of darkness. Eternal darkness, the kind you only see in your dreams. 

Panic began to consume her until a hand reached out and tugged her back again. Banye joined her in this perpetual space of darkness. "Calm down, Fei." He purred, pulling her back into his chest. His wide palm cupped behind her head stroking her hair. "You need to calm down before you wind up sending yourself stuck in a void where I couldn't follow."

There was a sharp breath, Banye considered a thought, silent for a minute. "Please, give me a chance, a week or two with me and if you still don't warm up, and you still want to go back to him – even after what he did to you...what his brother did to you." He pressed his forehead to hers, holding her stare. "Just tell me the word, Fei, and I will send you back to him."

Something in him went savage and Ying Yue sensed the ruthless demon lurking behind his gentleness. "But hear this - " His voice plunged into a raw guttural growl. " - if you came back to me damaged, hurt or dead, I will unleash my wrath upon them, they won't even know what happened until it's all over with. I've been patient, Fei...I've been patient with them because of you."

"You'll send me back even after the bargain? His bargain and my bargain?"

"If that is what's going to make you happy, to be with him rather than me...then, yes, I will send you back in a heartbeat."

"Two weeks." She said softly. "Two weeks with you then you'll send me back if I ask for it?"

"Yes."

He smiled and in a blinked, they were back in the bed together. 

Witer's note:

Please support this story by voting. It helps get the book shared if you vote. 

Your writer, Jan.