Regret is the strongest love song

The battle was going quite well. Everything was going perfect. That is, until, the ship aimed an ion cannon at the red lion. Lance's heart stopped. "KEITH!!!!" he screamed as he pushed blue forward so that she'd take the blunt of the blast.

The blast hit blue making Lance jerk backward in his chair. Lance grunted as he felt wetness seep down his face. "LANCE!!" he heard Keith cried.

"I'm okay," Lance grunted. He heard Keith sigh in relief. "Let's just get this dumb battle over with already."

"Right!"

=========

"Lance what the fuck were you thinking?" Keith cried, slamming Lance against the wall angrily.

"What are you talking about?" Lance asked, staring at Keith in surprise.

"I'm talking about how you deliberately disobeyed Shiro's orders so you'd look like hero," Keith snarled.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" Lance cried. "I didn't do that so I could be a fucking hero I did it so that I could save my boyfriend from impending death!"

"That's not an excuse," Keith spat. "You could have died, Lance! That's not a fucking joke!"

"You think I don't know that?!" Lance snapped. "I was scared out of my mind--"

"Then why the fuck did you do that?"

"Because I couldn't see you get hurt!"

"Are you being serious right now?!" Keith hissed. "I'm so fucking sick of your selfless bullshit! Why can't you just worry about yourself for once in your stupid fucking life?!" Keith's eyes widened as he realized what he said. "Lance...I..I didn't mean it like that--"'

"Yeah, you did, Keith," Lance snarled, but his voice was more hurt then angry, making Keith feel even worse. "Or you wouldn't have said it."

"Lance I--"

"You know Keith," Lance spat, cutting Keith off from his apology. "I did that because I love you. I hate the idea of you being hurt. I thought that maybe you loved me too. Turns out you think I'm just some stupid fucking prick with a dumb fuking life. Whatever. Not like I care." and with that Lance walked swiftly out of the hangar, leaving Keith standing there, watching as his boyfriend walked away.

If there's one thing Keith regrets in life, it's that he didn't stop Lance. If he did maybe Lance would still be alive.

===========

Lance avoided Keith like the plague, and it was killing Keith. He'd see Lance talking to Hunk or Pidge but as soon as Keith walked into the room Lance would stop talking, mutter some sort of excuse and leave. Hunk and Pidge didn't know about the fight but they knew something was up.

"Keith what the fuck did you do?" Pidge said, slamming her fist on the table making the entire table jump a foot in the air. It was dinner and Lance had skipped it...again.

"What are you talking about?" Keith asked, pretending to not know what she meant.

"Don't pull that shit with me, Kogane," Pidge snarled. Shiro pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed pointedly at Pidge. Her glare softened. "Sorry Shiro. But I mean it, I haven't seen Lance like this since..."

"Since?"

"Since Marco." Pidge said sadly. Hunk stiffened in his seat and for the first time Keith saw an angry look pass over the gentle samoans face.

"Who's he?" Keith asked.

"A douchebag--sorry Shiro jeez---who Lance dated," Pidge explained, her face twisted in a hateful glare. "He was super abusive but Lance refused to see it. Not until he ended up in the stupid hospital for it. He ended it, thank God, but he was heartbroken. He always sees the good in people, even when there's none to find. He moped for months before I got him drunk--"