The omega's cries

Lance sobbed in the corner, rocking back and forth. Why did he have to be a stupid omega? Pidge had been talking about presenting, she was the only one who hadn't presented yet. Lance knew she didn't mean any harm by it but he was still hurt so much.

"I hope I don't become an omega," Pidge had said. Shiro shook his head.

"There's nothing wrong with being an omega, Pidge," Shiro had scolded.

"I know," Pidge said. "It's just it would be so inconvenient. Omega's are so clingy and needy. I'm glad we're all Alpha and Beta here." Lance felt his heart squeeze at those words, because there was an omega here. Lance was an omega. He was needy. He was clingy He was so inconvenient.

Lance had left the room as quickly as he could then, slipping out some lame excuse about makeup and left so they couldn't smell his distress. Now Lance was crying in a corner of his room. He was such a bad omega.

Was it his fault that Pidge hated omegas? What had he done wrong? God, why couldn't he have just been born a beta like everyone thinks he was. His life would be so much easier. Lance still had plenty of scent neutralizers and suppressants to last him for a while so he wasn't worried about them finding out anytime soon. Maybe if he could keep up his charade long enough they'll never know the truth.

One thing was for certain though, he could not be an omega. He had to change. What if they kicked him off the team? He needed blue and he couldn't leave them. He just needed to fight his instincts.

How hard could it be?

==Time skip==

Apparently very hard. He was biting his lip to restrain himself from hugging anyone. It was hurting him not to cuddle with someone. He wouldn't let them scent him as often because he was terrified they'd smell his omega.

The team began to notice Lance's withdraw and were very worried. Pidge tried to include him in more things but he couldn't bring himself to stay very long. He was too clingy.

Hunk tried baking Lance's favorite things from Earth but he couldn't accept them. He was too needy.

Shiro and Keith tried to include him in training but he couldn't do anything like they could. He was so inconvenient.

Lance's once sweet scent had turned sour with sadness and self-loathing. He hated that he was an omega. All of his family were Alphas and Betas. They never told him but Lance knew they were disappointed to have an omega for a son. So Lance tried harder to change himself.

Soon though, Shiro couldn't take it.

"I just don't understand," he said as he paced in the living room. Lance had already gone to his room and Shiro was having a team meeting to discuss his behavior. Shiro's Alpha prime was going crazy with the scent of a distressed pack mate but Lance refused to confide in him. "Is it us?" His alpha whined at the thought of not satisfying one of his own.

"I don't know," Keith groaned. "I've never seen him like this."

"Maybe we've offended him?" Hunk suggested.

"What did we say?" Pidge asked, immediately shutting down the answer. "He hasn't spoken to us long enough for us to say anything."

"Hello Paladins," Coran greeted as he walked in. "What's going on?"

"We're worried about Lance," Shiro said.

"Oh Lance will come around," Coran said with a wave of his hand. "Omega's usually go into a mood before their heats."

"What are you talking about?" Shiro said. "Lance is a beta. Beta's don't have heats."

"Incorrect number one," Coran said with a pull of his mustache. "Lance is an omega. Say's so in biology report." The team was frozen. Lance was an omega? Why hadn't he said anything to them? Did he not trust them?

Keith remembered a week ago when Pidge confessed how she felt about presenting. The things she had said about omegas in front of Lance... "I know why Lance is avoiding us." Keith said.

"Why?"

"Pidge what did you say last week? About omegas? Who was there with us when you said that? Who left rather quickly after that?" Keith said. Pidge gasped and brought her hand to her face.

"I didn't mean it like that..." she whispered sadly. "No wonder Lance is avoiding us. He must be so hurt."

"Team we need to find Lance and apologize." Shiro commanded. His instincts were going wild knowing that an omega, one of his own pack mates, was in pain.

They all set off in search of him. Where would he be. Suddenly a strong scent of distress hit the team like a brick wall. Shiro and Keith, being alphas, followed the scent of a distressed omega quickly, rushing to find Lance.

They finally found him huddled in a corner crying. The alphas rushed to comfort him but he tensed as soon as they stepped near him. "I'm sorry for being a bad omega." Lance whispered. Shiro's eyes widened at the heartbreak and pain behind those words. "I'll do better."

"Lance no, you're not a bad omega," Shiro said. "You're perfect. I'm so sorry. We didn't know. We don't care that you're an omega."

Lance shook his head, refusing to believe it. "I'm too needy and clingy."

"No! No Lance I swear I didn't mean it!" Pidge cried. "You're perfect I promise!"

Lance wrapped his arms tighter around himself, the scent of sadness spiking. "No, I'm too inconvenient, you were right. I have to change. I have to be a Beta." with those words Lance felt another wave of pain. Lance had been fighting his instincts for too long and now he was starting to feel it.

Shiro knew what happened to omegas that tried to change themselves. It wasn't pretty. When omegas feel very threatened or unsafe they try to suppress their instincts and become a temporary Beta. But it's painful and often ends with the omega breaking. He couldn't let that happen to Lance.

"No, Lance," Shiro said softly. He walked forward and wrapped his arms around Lance's shivering frame. "Please. We want you as an omega. You don't have to change. Please stay as you are."

Lance looked into Shiro's eyes disbelieving what he heard. Shiro couldn't possibly mean that. They wanted him? And more importantly as an omega? But why? Isn't he just useless and annoying? Why would they want him?

"Lance stop it," Keith growled. Lance then remembered that they could smell his emotions. "We do want you. We don't care that you're an omega. You're our friend and pack mate. We love you just as you are."

Lance finally stopped suppressing his instincts. They came back with a roar and he let out a sigh of relief. The pain had vanished. The team smelled the change in mood and sagged from relief. Lance wasn't trying to change anymore. They smelled his scent turn back to it's happy tones.

Sea salt and coconuts. Lance hugged Shiro gratefully and smiled. Shiro accepted the hug, glad that they had managed to convince Lance of his worth. He then pulled him away and leaned down to scent him. It had been so long since he had smelled Lance and he was desperate for the happiness that he smelled.

Lance let out a chirp at the action and Shiro let out a low rumble. Soon the rest of the pack joined in scenting Lance and finally let him go when he smelled of everyone. Then Shiro smiled widely.

"Pack cuddles?" he asked the omega.

Lance smiled and nodded. "Pack cuddles!" he giggled. Finally the omega's cries had been heard, and this time they would make sure to keep an ear out for it again. Because this happiness, that was here to stay.