Wings

Lance had secret. He couldn't tell the rest of his team what he was. Everyone is born with some sort of animal part. Pidge was some sort of wolf, she had sharp teeth and black eyes and claws. She was fucking scary. Keith was a puma. He had adorable ears and a tail. Even though he'd deny it, he loved being petted. Lance would always pet his tail, and Keith would glare at him while he purred. Shiro was a tiger. He had ears and claws. Hunk was a grizzly bear. Which was great because he loved to cuddle. Sometimes, when Lance had nightmares, he'd climb into Hunk's bed and cuddle with him.

Hunk was the only one who knew what Lance was.

Lance had wings.

Wings were the rarest attribute ever. There were only about one hundred of them on Earth. And because they were so rare, they were often kidnapped, or sold. Lance had beautiful wings, they looked like a barn owls. He had managed to keep it a secret from everyone. The team only knew that Lance had claws and very good eyesight, but he never told them what else.

********

"Lance?" Hunk said slowly. He saw the figure in the doorway walk slowly and Hunk opened his arms. He felt a whoosh of air as Lance had spread his wings and flew into him with suck a force that Hunk toppled over. He felt Lance tremble into him and he worked to quiet his sobs. "Lance it's okay. Shh..."

Lance just cried harder. Hunk frowned. He must have had a really bad nightmare. He stroked Lance's wings. Lance began to quiet. Most people didn't know it, but petting a person's wings is more calming than floating around in a pool on a hot day. Hunk knew though because he's been dealing with his friends nightmares for years.

After a while Lance had calmed down and simply accepted the pets. Hunk rubbed the very top of his wings before slowly pulling his hands down. Lance cooed. After a while Lance had fallen asleep against Hunk. Hunk lifted Lance and placed him back in his room, careful to tuck his wings under the blankets.

==> time skip <==

"Good morning everyone," Hunk said. He frowned when he saw that Lance wasn't in the room. "Where's Lance?"

"Probably still asleep," Keith said rolling his eyes.

"I'll get him!" Pidge said, jumping up and running out of the room. Hunk panicked and ran after her.

"Pidge no! Stop!" Hunk called. The rest of the team followed after Hunk, curious as to why he was so worked up. Pidge ignored Hunk and raced into Lance's room and let out a very audible gasp. The team raced into Lance's room, prepared to defend her against an attack before they gasped too.

Lance was huddled in a corner crying, his shirt off and his wings out. His wings were raised in a defensive position and his scars were very noticeable. You could see where the lash of the whip hit his skin.

"Hunk..." he gasped out. Hunks inner grizzly peaked out and he tore through them and stood over Lance protectively. He growled at the team.

"Don't touch him," Hunk said.

"Hunk calm down," Shiro said. "We're his team. We're not going to hurt him."

"It's okay," Podge said. She raised her hands in a subjective position. Hunk relaxed out of his stance and turned around to comfort Lance.

"Lance what happened? Are you hurt?" Hunk asked. Lance shook his head and wrapped his arms around himself. He lowered his wings and the team could see how scared he looked.

"Please don't let them hurt me." Lance said through a choked sob. Shiro felt his heart break.

"Lance," he said. Lance looked at him fearfully. "I swear I will never hurt you. I'm going to hug you now, tell me if you don't want me to." Shiro said before slowly walking over to Lance. Lance accepted the hug. "We're your family. We will Never hurt you."

"Do....d-do you promise?" Lance said, his vice cracking. Shiro nodded against Lance.

"I promise."

Keith walked over to the boy and eyed his wings. They were beautiful. Even in this state. "Your wings need to be groomed." Keith pointed out. Lance nodded.

"Yeah," Lance sniffled. "I haven't.....I haven't been taking good care of them..." 

Lance fluttered his wings and the team gasped at his beauty. Keith gasped at the scars that marred his skin. They were lashings. Keith could count them. He felt anger boil up inside him. Unknowingly he let out a snarl. The team looked back at him. 

"Keith?" Shiro asked.

"Lance who...who did that to you?" Keith questioned, ignoring Shiro's question. Lance cringed and looked away.

"My...my..my previous owner," Lance winced. Shiro growled. 

"Lance you're your own person," Shiro said. "No one will own you ever again."

"Thank you." Lance smiled. 

Maybe this was his second chance?