Chapter 48

I swam in and out of consciousness, memories flashing in my brain like a broken slideshow. I saw Toby and the scientists as they took him away from me in a locked cage. I heard his screams from down the hall as they executed him.

I felt the first time my wings broke through my shoulder blades and the way the wind rushed through each feather as I escaped the scientists. I saw the smiling lady at the check in desk at the college and the first time I set eyes on Seth Vernon, my roommate who had quickly become the best thing that had ever happened to me.

I felt the burning flames of the apartment fire and heard Sage's mom's sigh of relief as she held her child once again. I felt the punch that Matt had swung at me and saw the picture that Matt had ripped apart and that Seth had taped back together.

I saw the faces of the two teens from the car accident and the drunk driver as he lay on the road, bleeding out of his head. I felt my arm breaking and the feeling I had after surgery.

I felt the pain of hurting Seth and the way he looked at me after I pushed him into the wall of the dorm. I saw Matt's face as he held a gun to his head ready to take his own life. And I saw Seth's face as he screamed overtop of me, shaking and crying out for help.

And I saw a white light.

I awoke in a room, a blaring white light, the first thing I saw. The second thing was Seth's face over me, his lips on my lips, and I was home.

"Thank God!", he whispered, pulling away, sighing in relief. "I thought you were gonna leave me." I cleared my throat.

"Never.", I breathed, smiling.

"I'm sorry for everything I said.", Seth revealed. I looked down, remembering.

"Me too."

"It doesn't matter now.", he returned, holding my hand, gently. "All that matters is that you're okay and that I'm here for you. For better or for worse." I chuckled.

"It'll probably be for worse.", I retorted. He brushed my hair behind my ear which made me warm all over.

"And I knew that the day I set eyes on you."