Chapter 3

I briskly bolted through the halls until I reached the staircase leading to the roof. My head felt dizzy and I couldn't breathe, my chest was so tight.

I darted up the stairs impatiently, skipping every other step until I reached the top.

I burst through the double doors, my breathing heavy as I stumbled to the edge of the roof.

Reaching it, I collapsed onto the edge of the building, dangling my feet towards the ground below. I brushed my shaking hands through my thick, ebony hair, feeling the cold air burning my face.

The thoughts rushed into my mind once again. Memories of my brother making my head spin. I rembered his voice just before he was taken away from me. Just before they took him.

"I love you.", he whispered just loud enough that I could hear him, tears streaming down his face.

I shook my head, trying to shake away the thoughts of what they did to him. Like a gust of wind, my mind was cleared of the face of my brother.

"You're okay. You're okay. Just breathe.", I repeated to myself, trying to calm my mind and my lungs. My chest ached as it rose and fell violently and I fought to take a full breath in.

"You're such a coward", I criticized myself. I hated how these memories continued to control my life. I hated that they couldn't just let him go.
I hated myself for letting them hurt him.

My breathing gradually slowed back down to its normal pace and I chuckled as I realized how stupid and how screwed up I was.

"Okay, Sullivan.", I breathed. "Pull yourself together." I leapt to my feet and spun to face the doors.

Holding my arms out beside me, I closed my eyes and leaned back. "And...trust fall.", I said, plunging off the edge of the building.