Chapter 42

We cuddled on the couch talking about Seth and his past, his present, his future. I took in each and every word like a drag of a cigarette and we laughed and it was perfect.

It was almost sunset when we flicked on the television. The news came on and a stern man in a suit explained the breaking news stories at his desk.

"Citizens of Greymoore are still recovering from the fright of the fire at the Riverside Apartment buildings on College Street the other night.", the news anchor said and I sat up, listening. Seth surveyed the screen, and looked at me as if he knew.

"Sage Brown,", the anchorman continued, "was pulled from the seventh floor of the building by what looked to be a man with wings."

Seth looked at me, shocked, and I sat there frozen trying to disguise my panic. A photo popped up on the screen of a boy with shaggy, black hair, pale skin, and dark wings, carrying a girl, small and frail in his arms.

Shit. Shit, shit, shit., I thought to myself.

"The authorities are still trying to identify the man with wings and many are calling him a superhero. We are asking anyone with information to contact the number on the screen.", the anchor informed. "But for now, this mysterious hero has inquired the nickname: Blackbird."

My heart was beating a hundred miles per minute as Seth's eyes were glued to the screen, studying the picture of me. The picture was blurry, thank God, therefore my facial features were hidden. Seth turned to face me and squinted.

"Was that the fire?", he inquired. "Were you there?" My eyes widened as I stared at Seth.

"I..."

"Are you Blackbird?"