Chapter 26

The morning couldn't have come sooner. I had tossed and turned all night while Seth stayed frozen in the same position I had left him in. I had laid staring at Seth's chest making sure he was breathing. My mind buzzed with every possible scenario that could have occurred and I was glad that the sun had decided to finally rise.

Suddenly Seth's alarm clock rang making me practically jump out of bed. I fumbled with the loud machine trying to find the off button. "Really!", I yelled to myself, shocked at how early Seth woke up everyday. I had finally found it and the silence made me sigh in relief.

I looked over at Seth, expecting him to be awake with the ringing that still banged in my ears. Seth shuffled a little but stayed asleep and it surprised me. Wow, I thought, he must be really drunk.

Now that I was wide awake, I slid off the bed, grabbing a change of clothes from my back pack. I jumped in the shower and the hot water stung the cut on my shoulder. I stepped out, throwing on a red v-neck and a pair of black jeans with accidental rips in the knee.

It was now about an hour until class started and Seth was still wrapped up in a deep slumber. I dragged a comb through my thick, black hair and washed my face, attempting to wash away the bruises.

It was getting late and Seth had already missed one day of school so I wandered over to my bed that he lay in and sat down on the mattress. His face was so peaceful as he slept and his freckles were like constellations on his pale face. There were purple bags under his eyes as if he hadn't slept and his body smelled of alcohol.

Hesitantly, I placed a gentle hand on his shoulder and shook him. In an instant, his eyelids fluttered opened and the once emerald colour, was now a dull, sickly green. Seth squinted as the morning sunlight reached his eyes and I could almost feel my own eyes sting.

He sat up, still squinting, holding his head as if his brains were falling out. He brought his knees up to his chest and shoved his head between them. He grunted, then muttered to himself, "Shit."

"You okay?", I questioned, trying to control my volume, the familiar memory of a hangover popping up in my mind. Seth edged his head up warily and winced as it moved too fast. His eyes turned to me and he forced a grin.

"I'm grand."