Chapter 13

I drowsily made my way back up to the college rooftop, my wings aching. My lungs felt deflated, my throat raw. I squeezed my wings back under my shoulder blades feeling them tear my skin for the milionth time.

My eyes burned from the smoke and I could still hear the sound of sirens ringing in my ears. I reached the hallway and leaned on the wall to keep my balance.

It was now getting dark outside, and the school was lit up with warm yellow lights that brought back images of the fire. My wrist stung as I turned the door knob of our dorm and pushed the door open with my entire body, nearly falling into the room.

Seth was lying on his bed, buried in the same novel from earlier, the lamp on his nightstand glowing onto the paged as he flipped them.

"Hey. How ya feeling?", he asked, peeking up from his book. Seth dropped his book down beside him, staring at me with confusion. I staggered towards my bed, continuing to use the wall as a crutch.

"What the hell happened to you? ", he cried, sitting up. I made it to my bed and plopped down onto my fresh blue sheets, still in shock. I sat there frozen, unable to speak.

Seth was frozen too, staring at me with those green eyes like I was a ghost. "Kai?", he yelled. "What happened?" Seth got up and walked over to my bed, crouching down in front of me again. Gasping, Seth grabbed my arm, dragging me to the bathroom.

I followed behind, tripping over my own feet, still silent. In the mirror, there was Seth and another boy that should have been me but who I didn't recognize. His face was bruised and bloody, ashes spread over it like a mask. His shirt sleeve was sliced open, blood dripping from his shoulder off his fingertips and I realized this stranger was me.