Chapter 36

I had lie awake all night, playing the crash over and over in my head and wondered why they weren't saved. Why had I saved the little girl in the fire but not the people from the crash. I thought that the world was giving me a chance to take what the scientists had done to me and make it into something that could save people.

So why couldn't I save them? What did it all mean?

The nurse came in and wheeled me down to the operating room. I was laying on the table as the anesthetic mask was placed over my face.

"Count backwards from ten.", they had said as the gas began to fill my lungs.

10.

9.

8.

And I was gone. But I wasn't. Was I? My eyes were open and I looked around but I wasn't in the hospital any more. I examined my arm and the bone had somehow made its way back into my skin. I looked around trying to figure out where I was and I saw the familiar buildings outside of the college.

I scanned my surroundings, the sun obscuring my vision. Birds were chirping in the trees above my head. Buses zoomed passes and people walked busily on the sidewalks as usual. The cloudless sky was a bright blue and for I second I had wondered if I had died and this was heaven. But I wasn't scared. Which scares me when I think about it.

For a that second when I think my life has come to an end, I am thankful. I thought of Seth but I knew he was better off without my to burden him. I then thought of Toby. I spun around sharply calling his name but it was soundless.

" This is a dream.", I thought to myself recognizing the familiar feeling of being voiceless and invisible as people walked through me instead of around me. It was like the last two dreams. Except in the last two dreams something bad happened.

As if the dream heard my thoughts, the glass doors of the college flew open, a man bursting out angrily. The man grunted and I recognized his bruised jaw and his crinkled angry face.

"Matt."