Chapter 10

The room was quiet, Seth had left for class a while ago now. I kept remembering the fire that had burned into my head. I thought of the girl, so close to death and alone.

I made my bed, spreading it with pale blue sheets with matching pillowcases I had bought the day before. I hung up my v-necks in the closet beside the bed, noticing the monochromatic pattern of greys, whites, and blacks.

I tossed my hollow backpack under my bed, flopping down onto the matress, arms crossed under my head. I lay there for a while, thinking about Seth, about my brother, and about the girl in my dream.

My eyes grew heavy and fluttered as I tried to stay awake. I was only half asleep when I heard it. My eyes shot open when there was a gigantic bang that echoed through the streets and vibrated my bed.

I jolted upright, dazed yet panicked, making sure I still had all of my limbs. Confirming that, I leapt to my feet and bolted to the window to see what was going on.

The clouds, once a snowy white, we're now an orangy-gold tinge. Suddenly a storm of thick, black smoke erupted into the sky from the building below. I was astonished and realized that this was exactly what my dream looked like.

Forcing myself, I glanced down and saw a cluster of flames surrounding the building below. Glass exploded from the windows and I heard screaming even through the thick window of my dorm.

Thinking of the little girl, I knew I had to do something. I darted towards the door slamming it behind me once again as I ripped through the hallways. Reaching the staircase, I raced to the top, skipping countless steps.

I crashed through the rooftop doors and whipped my stiff wings out from my back, stretching them out. At the edge of the roof, I catapulted myself off, plummeting towards the ground. I swooped up halfway down the college and darted upwards to the roof of the burning building.