Chapter 34

The medic stared at me the same way he did when he told me that the pretty girl with blood streaked hair was dead.

"No.", I breathed, my eyes watering and a lump forming in my throat. Seth's eyes darted between both of us and I couldn't bear to look at him.

"I'm sorry.", the medic said, and I could tell that he had actually meant it. I couldn't help the tears from creeping out between my eyelids and I was frozen. They were gone. They were all gone. I had killed them. Just like I killed Toby.

The medic stood there watching me as I silently cried and I could see Seth's face out of the corner of my eye and it hurt. Everything hurt. I was tired of being in pain. I was just so tired.

Suddenly a tall man in a white coat burst through the curtains. "Hey there.", he said with a certain happiness in his voice and I wondered what he could possibly be so happy about. My sadness turned to anger as the doctor came up to me examining my arm.

Everyone stared at my arm and I wished they would all go away. I couldn't understand why everyone was so worried about me when there were three people dead.

"Well were gonna need to take some x-rays but you're definitely gonna need surgery.", he informed with a large grin on his face. I sat there in silence. I didn't care about my arm and I wished I could just go home. The doctor said something else but I ignored him and he leaned down to meet my spaced out eyes.

"Maybe we'll get a psych consult, too.", he sighed, and I was glad he had finally stopped smiling. I stared past his large, stupid head as he stared at me trying to see what was inside.

"Kai?"

My eyes instantly shifted towards the voice and saw the worried face of Seth staring back at them. With one word from his soft voice my anger had melted just enough to see through the frosty glass of my eyes. His shining green eyes had returned and they made me warm.

"You're okay.", Seth whispered grabbing my hand and it burned under the heat of his. His hand delicately folded over mine and I was home, a place I had never had before. Seth made me warmer than I had ever been and he made me able to breathe again (literally). I felt like I could just start living with him instead of just existing. And in that moment, as his hand was wrapped around mine, I could forget. Even if it was just for a moment.