Chapter 9

The afternoon sun blared through the window of our dorm like a spotlight. Seth remained on the floor by my feet, crouched into a ball. I went through the events that had just occurred, in my head and studied each picture, each sound, each feeling.
I restlessly scratched at the label on the puffer, which read "Vernon, Seth". Realizing I still held it, I extended my arm to Seth who was now covering his face with his hands.

"Here." My hand shook as it reached towards Seth who uncovered his face. He gently pushed my hand back towards me and looked up at me.

"Keep it.", he instructed, his voice so quiet that I could barely hear it. Placing the puffer beside me on my bed I glanced at the clock above my headboard.

"We should go.", I groaned, pushing myself up to my feet. "We're gonna be late." Straightening my back, I wavered in the air, trying to keep my balance. Seth leapt to his feet just in time to catch me before I fell.

"You're not going anywhere.", Seth demanded sitting me back down onto the matress.

"I'm fine.", I informed harshly, pushing his hand away. I looked up to see Seth. He looked hurt. I instantly felt awful for being rude to him, especially after helping me. "Sorry.", I apologized, genuinely. A smirk appeared on Seth's pale face and it reminded me of him again. I briskly turned away from him.

"Maybe I should stay with you.", he offered, as he sat down beside me. His weight forced my body to slightly lean towards him and made our shoulders touch which felt electric.

"No, I can't let you miss class on your first day of school just because of me.", I argued, looking back at him. His eyes were filled with concern and they glistened like emeralds as the sun hit them. " I'm fine.", I reassured. Seth's shoulders lowered in relief and the smirk returned.

"Okay.", he whispered after a while. "Promise?." I got lost in his eyes once again and placed my cold hand on his.

"I promise."