Chapter Forty Six

Rain pounds on the roof of Destiny's coach as she wakes up. And it was not a drizzle either. It was an intense down pour. The shades only allowed a limited amount of light to come through. The light wasn't very impressive either. New England weather, typical. Cold and rainy.
Destiny gets up rubbing her eyes.
" rainy weather on race day. Great..." She says.
Then she gets up off the bed and heads out into the main room. It was dark and empty. The sight made her heart ache. The light above the sink was still on from the night before. As Destiny walks towards the island in the kitchen she sees the time on the microwave. It was 7:30 in the morning. The track opened in a half hour to fans. She groans as she sees the puddles outside.
" This is going to be an interesting race..." She mumbles.
Destiny gets changed throwing on a blue bra and a black tank top. After throwing underwear on she slips into her red fire suit. Her arms slide into the sleeves and then she zips it up. Her hair flows down her shoulders. Her curls perfect.
" Baby your a song, you make me wanna roll my windows down and cruise."
Destiny's phone rings loudly. She turns around seeing it buzz.
" Hello?" Destiny says in a sleepy tone.
" You up yet?" The voice asks.
Destiny grins slightly.
" Work up to rain. How's the shop?" She asks.
Silence is what she gets. Then a low sigh.
" too quiet. No Steve. No you. Ashley hasn't shown up. It's just Cory and I." Chris says.
Destiny's eyes shift to the floor.
" I'm going to win for him." She says determined.

Chris shifts his legs and now allows his right leg to lean on the bumper as he sits on the hood of a 55' Belair.
" Don't try anything stupid alright Destiny?" Chris says trying to keep himself content.
" Don't worry about me. I'm going to show what Iv been hiding all year. You know Iv been holding back." She says.
Chris sighs.
" You better get out there then and warm up." He says.
Destiny takes a deep breath.
" I would but you know. New England weather won't permit it." Destiny says as she sits on her couch.
Chris smiles then gets off the hood.
" Well I'll let the nascar super star go." Chris says.
Destiny quickly says something she didn't even think about before it came.
" So you wanna come hang out after the race?"
She takes a deep breath knowing her boyfriend is in a hospital bed.
" I mean... How's Tim..." She throws in before Chris can completely answer.
" He's stable... He hasn't moved though. But they did get the blood clot tumor thing out of his head." Chris says.
Destiny takes a deep breath and gets up.
" I should be with him Chris..." She says depressed.
Chris shakes his head and puts down a ratchet.
" He would want you there. Racing you heart out. Once your done there you can see him as much as possible." Chris says.
" Iv had my years racing. Chris.... Just eight more races. Then I'm coming home for good. I know what I want to do from now on. I'll let Chase do the racing. I'll help pops keep the shop open. And we can all work there like old times." She says as she holds back tears.
Chris can't believe it. Destiny Rene Elliott, ending her nascar career for the shop and the boys.
Destiny hears a knock at the door and she looks up.
"Hold on a sec!" She yells.
" I'll talk to you later alright Chris?" She says.
"Alright. Good luck." Chris says.
Then he hangs up. Destiny walks to the door and opens it to see dale.
" Hay." She says.
Dale smiles and climbs into her coach.
" What no food?" Dale says jokingly.
Destiny rolls her eyes then smiles slightly.
" what's up?" She asks.
" Not the sun." Dale says.
Destiny punches his shoulder.
" Really?!"
" what?" He asks.
He laughs as she sits down in front of him at the table.
" when are we going racing?" She asks.
Dale shrugs.
" Later." He says.
They both continue chatting as the rain continues to down pour.

******3:30pm, NHMS******
The rain has stopped and NASCAR has had the jet dryers out on the track now for an hour. They were finishing up turn four as the crews continued to clean off the pit stalls. The cars have been lined up on pit road since twelve but they have been covered.
"Welcome to New Hampshire motor speedway. It's looking better now then it was three hours ago."
" yah three hours ago we had down pours. The teams were told to keep the cars in the garage until the ran had calmed. Around noon time the rain had settled to a calm spitting. Now we are almost set to go here at NHMS."
Darrell and Bob say as they broadcast.
The camera men show images of the covered cars as well as the jet dryers. The clouds have started to break up as the sun peaks through. The trees around the track are bright reds and yellows.
As Destiny watches the broad cast she sees Kyle Busch talking with his crew chief. The rain had finally stopped. And she knew it was go time.
She walked out of the garage area and headed towards pit road. The ground was still wet until she came out to where he covered car is. She had gotten the pole from beating Kyle Busch. Busch starts second now followed by Kasey Kahne and Carl Edwards. Trevor Bayne starts in fifth with Dale jr next to him. Johnson starts seventh with his teammate, Jeff Gordon next to him. Starting tenth is Chase Elliott.