Chapter Sixteen

Destiny looks at Dale as he opens a book. The book consists of ten pages of pictures. More and more of the firry accident.

" We were at Pocono when it happened."

Dale says as he shows a picture of them all before the race.

" Rick went back to NC to be with his wife. Kasey was with Juliana waiting for the race to start. Jimmie and Jeff were hanging out near their cars. They had qualified next to each other. Me. I was with Steve. The race was normal. A few single car wrecks."

Dale shows a few pictures of the race as it went on. Cars torn up from cutting tires etc. Then he flipped the page.

" With ten to go Juliana's car got loose. In the turn she was close to the line when her car shot up the track. She was in fifth racing for fourth. Greg Biffle was extremely close when her car shot upwards. I saw it all happen from my mirror. Jimmie and I were first and second. Jeff Burton smashed into the passenger side of her car. Her car spun around and Kyle collided with the nose of her car. By the time Kasey had come by all he could see was her car snug against the wall, on fire. After being hit several more times her car came to rest at the exit of the turn. The car engulfed in fire."

Dale looks at Chase. Then at Destiny.

" Kasey screamed on his radio to his team to rescue her. We all could hear him. Back then we heard all our teammates radio convosations. Her crew chief was yelling her name but she wouldn't answer back. The car burned. And she perished on scene. Kasey was hurt. He took off that night and he didn't race for a month. Pocono still bothers him. He does not want to see that happen again. So he doesn't want to get too close to you. He loved her Destiny. And to see her car just blow up. It hurt him. His brother Kale couldn't even get him to come to his senses. "

Destiny hugs dale seeing the hurt in his eyes.

" It wasn't your fault. Or his. Accidents happen."

Dale sighs. He shuts the book and then looks at them.

" I think you need Alittle more rest before Thursday comes."

Chase nods agreeing with him. Then they both get up leaving Destiny alone to let her sleep.

( Sorry for it being short! I'm at the New England drag way right now with the boss.)