Chapter Forty Five

Destiny pulls into the parking lot at Daytona. She is still on the phone with her brother. The engine of her Camaro ticks as she gets out.

" and Tim?" Destiny asks.

Chase grows silent for a moment.

" He's in a coma." Chase says quietly.

Sitting by his side is jr. He is moving his hands nervously.

Destiny takes a deep breath and let's a tear fall.

" I'm not coming back Chase... I... I can't." She says in a shaky voice.

Dale shakes his head hearing her say that over the speaker phone.

" Your in the Chase! You have to run New Hampshire! It's Tim's home track!" Chase yells.

He can hear Destiny take a deep breath.

"Do it for Tim, Des." Chase adds.

Both then grow silent. A tear falls as she stands straight and looks at where her career first started.

" Send your jet to Daytona...." Destiny says.

Then the line grows silent. Chase looks at his cell noticing that she hung up. Dale looks at him with a slight grin.

" good job Chase." He says then he pats chase on the back.

Chase sits there thinking as to what's going to happen next. What could come next to pull them both down.

****Steve's Funeral, Saturday,

9:00am*****

Destiny grabs her keys to her black Camaro. Today was a day of silence of grieving. Destiny slowly walks down the steps and reaches the first floor. There stood Chase, His hair was neatly combed. He was wearing a black suit and dress shoes. Destiny had her hair curled as usual. She was wearing a black dress though which startled Chase a little. Chase could see her tears being held back.

" You ready?" Destiny asks in a low tone.

Chase nods then follows her out to her 69' Camaro. The engines idle was a tiny bit rough but it just gave the car more character. Destiny heads to the funeral home.

She wanted to go to the wake but practice was Friday. And her being in the Chase just added more pressure on her. New Hampshire was not her best track either.

As Destiny drove by the shop tears swell in her eyes. There was the GTO. And the Boss Mustang. All untouched. Her heart starts to ache as she takes a right and heads towards the funeral home.

" He's in a better place now."

The words slip through the silence. Chase looks at her trying to make her feel better.

Destiny shifts gears and looks forwards trying to avoid speaking.

Ten minutes later they reach the funeral home. Destiny parks her car next to pop's Buick Regal. It was incredible, every car was an antique. As Destiny got out of her car she could see Steve's best friends Satilite. Dukey always took care of his car. Then there was mike's maroon red 2013 Chevy Camaro SS. Ramone's 69' red and white drag Camaro was parked in front of dukeys car. Destiny takes a deep breath and follows Chase into the building.

It was amazing. Every car that was around the grave site shined brightly. It was like the year was like 1980. Every car sat proudly. Every car had a memory. Destiny looked at the black fire bird and remembered her and Chris pulling out the engine. All three of them tearing it down. She could see them all leaning over the engine. The pain hurt so much. Her eyes shifted to the red Dodge Cornett. The day her and Steve went on a road call in a blizzard to fix it and put a new radiator in. Then when Chris took her on a joy ride with the car. Destiny takes a deep breath and looks down. The priest continues to pray. Tears start to fall from her eyes. Chris hugs her trying to settle her. But the tears continue to fall.