Chapter Forty Five

Start from the beginning

" Why...." She says hurt.

Her body shaking.

Chase looks at her seeing how bad it has effected her.

After they let the casket down Destiny walks back to her car in silence. She had felt like some one had beaten her. Chase was already in the car. He was watching the clock making sure they would get back to NHMS in time for qualifying.

Destiny gets in the car and starts it up. She revs the engine and then shifts gears spinning the tires like everyone else did. It was like a tribute to the work Steve had done. Every person who was there spun the tires to show respect. Then Chris, Cory, Ashley and Destiny did a burnout since they had worked with him for so long. She pulls out of the cemetery and heads for the garages direction. Her and the Boys were going to Finish the remainder of the cars. Then they will close shop for good.

" What are we doing?" Chase asks as Destiny slows and pulls into the parking lot where the others are.

There had to be over a hundred cars in the parking lot. New or old. Restored or not. The cars sit in silence as Destiny pulls in and parks next to " Black Betty", Chris's black dodge ram.

" Going to finish the cars. And stay for the party." Destiny says.

Chase groans.

" we need to be in NH by 12!" Chase yells as Destiny walks towards the garage.

*****New Hampshire Motor Speedway, 12:30pm******

Crews are pushing the cars to pit road getting ready to start qualifying. The stands hold some New England fans. Most though are at the merchandise haulers. The air is crisp. The leaves are no longer green but are a variety of colors. From red to orange to yellow. The trees were beautiful. And the temperature, perfect.

" Now nascar is going to penalize us because you chose to stay later then Rick allowed." Case says angrily.

Destiny rolls her eyes and tries to let it go.

" We don't have a sponsor next year Case. Why don't you start worrying about that. How our funds to this team are now dwindling. How my boss... The man I used to call dad. Died! Worry about that! Not that we are penalized! I can race to the front if it comes to that... The pain though will be what is fueling me. Not adrenaline." She says fiercely.

She then walks towards her red Chevy SS and pulls her helmet on.

" No more nice Destiny... Now all of NASCAR will see why I'm here. I made a promise and I tend to keep it."

Destiny slips her helmet on and then her neck brace. She climbs into the car saying nothing. Her focus has taken over. She puts her belts on then her gloves. Case tightens the belts and hands Destiny the wheel.

" please don't kill anyone." He says as he puts the window net up.

Destiny takes a deep breath. Her hands leaning on the wheel as she stares at Jimmie Johnson's car which is in front of her. The official gives the ok to fire up.

" it's all good. Let her roar Des." Case says through the radio.

Destiny flips the switches and pumps the gas so the carburetor would open the choke. A moment later the car fires up. The idle perfect for a valve overlap.

Jimmie starts to move onto the track staying low until he gets out of the turn. As soon as Destiny gets out of the turn she floors it. By the time she's half way down the back stretch she's in fifth gear. Her mind following the 48 as it runs it's preferred line. It would make notes as to where she can pass him. Coming into the turn up high is a possibility. But coming off she could cut the wheel and sling shot around him. So she tried it. As they came out of turn four Destiny cut the wheel hard. Her car came down causing Greg Biffle to jam on the brakes. Destiny then shifted again and her tires spun just a little. Her car pulled a long side Jimmie then passed him completely.