25: Ulterior Motive

Eren wants to scream. He wants to shout and yell and abuse that Levi Ackerman for even thinking of going back for this. The gear he could understand. What use is escaping without at least having some sort of protection? Of course their gear is needed! Their wrist blades have saved their lives countless of times, as have the smoke bombs Eren keeps in his pouches and the many other necessities that he keeps stashed away.

But why, oh why, does Levi think they need the damn key? Eren would rather not deal with the burden that key holds. He argued and protested so strongly against it, but Levi insisted and by the time they exited the prison, they were already at Erwin Smith's chambers.

The King himself lays like a log in his bed, absolutely still. It doesn't even appear like he's breathing, but that only makes the other two sray on high alert.

"The key should be in that box," Levi whispers to the stealthy assassin before gesturing over towards the sealed black chest resting in the man's arms.

"Are you fucking kidding me?!" Eren almost screams at the raven haired man. "You expect to remove that from his bear like paws and open it without getting caught?!"

"You underestimate me, kid," Levi simply tuts before taking off his boots and handing them to the younger male. Eren takes them with disgust as the scent of dirty old socks hits him like a tidal wave. It takes not even a second for Levi to make his way to Erwin's bed, and Eren didn't hear a single sound from his steps, as if they never happened in the first place. Eren sets Levi's boots down outside the door and watches nervously as Levi's fingers, nimble and silent, unlatch Erwin's arms from around the black chest. Once Erwin's arms are detached from the box it takes only a swift arm to remove it permanently from the clutches of the King. The chest is acquired and Levi waits for no man as he silently runs out with much grace that even Eren had to admire.

"We've got it, let's go before he wakes up!"

Eren nods and takes the box as Levi slips on his boots again. Eren quickly lifts up the lid of the chest and seeks out the key they apparently so desperately need, and once he feels it in his grasp he takes it out, still feeling the familiar string he kept it on. The metal, still so cold. With no comfort to draw from it. He slips it carefully around his neck as if it belongs there before the two hightail it out of the castle and make their way towards the docks. However, as he runs from Erwin's room, he can't help thinking he wasted an opportunity.

~~°•○●○•°~~

F

reedom! At long last, Eren doesn't have to worry about anything! They've escaped on one of the Empire's vessels and are now feeling the early morning breeze brush through their hair as the cold sea sends chills running up and down their skin. The Capital slowly ceases to be in sight, and as the sun slowly peeks out over the horizon, Eren can't help but feel renewed. And disgusting. He really needs a bath...

Bathing aside, as he stands atop the bow sprit, arms spread wide taking in the air that feels ever so breath taking against him, there's nowhere he'd rather be right now. This is freedom. He's bound by no one. Not even by Levi. However, there are still a mass of unanswered questions that Eren needs to have answered and they all centre around the key. What was the point in going back for it? It's importance still remains a mystery to Eren, but he doesn't have time to dwell on it as two sneaky arms come to wrap around his waist and pull him tight against someone else's body.
That someone being the ever so cheeky Levi.

"So," Levi purrs gently towards Eren's ear. His voice implying everything he wants to say without the man even needing to speak. Just the deep tone of sensual need that seeps from his voice into Eren's ear is alarming. Yet undeniably tempting. "There's something you promised me, Jaeger," he goes on, gently massaging his fingertips into Eren's hips, softly kneading the fabric and skin underneath before he dares slip a hand under the younger's shirt. "Do you remember what that is?"