20: Broken

Eren couldn't help the grin that shot across his face like a shooting star. Magnificent in its being and shining brightly with positive emotions that they were almost overflowing.

"They're turning around!" He shouts out, arms never ceasing to wave the ship close. "They saw us! Thank the God's!" As the ship glides across the calm ocean, Levi sighs in content, coming close to Eren and slinging an arm around the assassin's shoulders.

"Well, look at that. Looks like we'll be able to get to safety in no time. We can go to the capital and straighten things out with Erwin." Levi says with his voice showing every ounce of confidence that Eren won't fight him for his freedom. This is exactly why Eren has to. Levi expects him to come along quietly, but Eren has a mission of his own, a place he can call home, friends that he deeply cares about. Friends that he hasn't seen for weeks and weeks. His blond haired coconut friend, always looking out for him and Mikasa, usually mothering him, but that's because they're practically family!

He misses his father, and everyone else. He misses his home and the familiar sands that run across nostalgic shores. Eren refuses to go to the capital. Not where the Empire lies. Why does Levi even insist on going back there? His squad tried to kill him, the soldier's who are meant to be loyal to Levi are also meant to be showing some respect to him. Instead he was greeted with guns and steel and they all claimed they had a mission to kill him!

Luckily they managed to kill them first, otherwise the two of them may not have been standing on that beach waving a passing ship to hopefully overtake for themselves.

The distress and reluctance must have been creating an aura around Eren, because the next thing he knows, Levi's hand digs into his shoulder in a vice like grip.

"Hey, you are coming with me to the capital. Aren't you."

It wasn't a question, which is what puts Eren on edge. The all too serious tone in his voice and those serious, grey eyes staring him down. There is only one answer that Levi will accept. On one end of the spectrum, Levi can be a kind, caring gentleman. On the other, his heart lies loyal to the Empire. Meaning he would kill Eren should he refuse.

"Levi, I-"

"You're coming." Levi deadpans, staring dead ahead at the incoming ship.

"You can't just decide that for me!" Eren argues. "I have a family! I have friends that I need to see and a father who's probably worried about me!" Levi doesn't give two fucks about what Eren has to say and it's shown by his body language. The man slips his hand off of Eren's shoulder in favour of folding them across his chest, eyes not sparing a glance towards Eren. The teen growls lowly before huffing. "Doesn't matter what you say. I'm going back whether you want me to or not."

"They're not your friends anymore," Levi glares ahead at the ship's nose marching forward and parting the ocean as it plows it's way through. "Chances are they hate you now."

"Impossible!" Eren shouts in frustration. "It's your fucking Empire that's turned on you! If anything, you're better off coming with me!"

"Oh?" Levi raises his eyebrow and finally faces the frustrated boy. Eren's face is red from his light anger and disbelief, but the man looks like he could care less. "So it's alright for me to abandon my family and friends in favour of getting slaughtered by yours?"

"What?!" That struck a nerve deep inside Eren's body. Which one? He doesn't know. They all feel triggered all at once. "And you think me going along with you won't have the same effect?! You were ordered to kill me to begin with!"

"And now I'm going to negotiate with the fucking King to keep you alive!"

"Oh yeah?! He's not going to fucking listen to anything you have to say! He wants you dead, Levi!"