21: Anguish

The ruckus on the beach has quieted down and it has been calm for at least an hour now. The ship hasn't left the sand, but as far as they can see the assassins aren't anywhere near the parked vessel. It's an open slate, ship waiting to be taken. But just because they're not in sight, doesn't mean they're not there. That's the thing with assassins. They always strike when you least expect it. They may not be visible to the naked eye, but under any cover of tree, bush, even rocks, they could be lurking.

Levi turns away from his small lookout in one of the trees to glance down at Eren. The poor brunet looks utterly defeated. As if the whole world is coming to an end just because his friends may not be the friends he had always thought they were. That's life, is what Levi had said before. He told Eren he couldn't trust anyone. Except for Levi. Levi made sure that he was open to the boy's trust. His feelings are a pain in the ass, but there are aspects of it that even Eren can appreciate. The way he looks after Eren, saves Eren. Cares for him to limits that seem uncomfortable. It doesn't seem fair for Levi, but Eren may not have been alive at this point if not for him.

"It doesn't seem like anyone is in sight. If we're lucky, we can board the ship and make a quick get away," Levi mutters softly to himself. Eren stares over at the crouched man peering through the leaves. "But they'll be waiting... and no doubt they'll be going after Eren..."

Going after Eren? Why not both of them? Even better, why not just Levi? It's he who has caused the shitty mess in the first place. They all believe Levi is the enemy. What Eren doesn't understand is how he himself has now become a target. After everything they've been through together... Eren needs to find them. He needs to find his two best friends and sort this out. He needs to get to the bottom of this.

"It's shit. All this is shit. Fuck. Our one chance to make a dash off this godforsaken place and it seems like we aren't leaving unless... we remove some people," Levi breathes out. "Alright... I should be able to work around the obstacles if the time comes. We need stealth. Both Eren and I are exceptional at that so we shouldn't have too much of a problem... I know my combat skills are fine and Eren's isn't too bad either, but can he stomach killing his family?" Levi sighs out and narrows his eyes at the beach, surveying the area and finding nothing but a few birds circling the ship. There's no one in sight and that's what concerns Levi. They'll have to move eventually, so he may as well circle the area and try and find an opening.

"Alright, Eren. Let's go," Levi calls out. After several long seconds he doesn't receive an answer. Standing up straight, he prepares himself to scold the moping boy. Only to find that there's no one there

"Son of a bitch..." Levi cusses and tightens the blades upon his wrists. He doesn't need to be told what Eren is up to. He already knows. That suicidal bastard is going to get himself killed!

~~°•○●○•°~~

There's no going back. Eren has made his decision. Just a little talk with Mikasa and Armin is all he needs. Once they all calm down and forget about what just happened a few moments ago, they can sit and have a chat. They can work this out. It doesn't have to be like this and Eren is sure that none of them truly want this. They're simply... overcome with shock. They probably didn't even realise it was him...

That's a lie and Eren knows it. He can try and convince himself that Mikasa and Armin didn't see him properly or that maybe they were too trained on the mission they were given. There's also Levi, who at first glance is recognised as a soldier of the Empire. It must have been him that caused the misunderstanding. If Eren had been placed in their shoes, he could understand the mistake. Seeing Eren alongside the enemy would have anyone confused.

At least, this is what he tells himself. As he treks through the vast foliage in search of his two best friends, he can only wonder what his talk will hold. The beach comes in sight, with no one walking along the surface, but his instincts and inside knowledge of the creed leaves him to believe that they've all hidden themselves in anticipation for Eren's arrival.