16: Instincts

The five of them trek through the dense jungle around them. Occasionally the tongue munching one named Auruo would jump in fright at a twig snapping from around them. After being reassured it was just a stick, he'd compose himself and claim that he was testing everyone else's reflexes on intruders.

To this, Eren had to roll his eyes. The guy with a  point in his hair, Gunther, seemed pretty clingy to the blond named Eld, and Eren could tell this just by noticing their constant skin ship. From one of Auruo's scares, Gunther had gripped tightly onto Eld's shoulder. Eld, in return, had gripped the man's hand, also looking a little frightened.

Their close proximity and that small intimate moment has Eren thinking that maybe they're closer than they care to admit. Whether they notice or not is completely beyond Eren.

As for Petra, she seems like the only one here that Eren would deem as normal. For starters, she doesn't have this weird Captain Levi esque thing like Auruo, nor does she constantly bite her tongue. She doesn't have some weird relationship going on with her squad member, and, thankfully, doesn't have a strange attachment towards Eren like Levi does. But, she hates Eren's guts. He can tell by the way she speaks to him, looks at him, and anything he says she completely tunes out.

In all honesty, Eren just thinks she's a little jealous that Levi puts all his love and care into Eren. It's not like Eren asked for it, but when he's surrounded by potential threats, he's glad that one of them has deep feelings for him.

"Hey Eren, why haven't you tried to resist us?" Gunther suddenly asks.

"It's obvious, isn't it?" Auruo cuts in. "It's because he knows when to surrender, right?"

'No, that's not it at all', Eren sighs to himself.

"You're wrong, Auruo," Petra muses behind him. She leans in close towards Eren, her amber, piercing eyes staring straight into Eren's soul. A menacing smirk tugs her lips before a sharp finger nail glides across Eren's cheek. "He knows that if he steps out of line that we will cut him down."

Eren stiffens for a few seconds. Cautious, especially around Petra. Her eyes only show her intent to end Eren whenever she gets a chance. He gulps, and his scared face is all the satisfaction Petra needs before she retreats with a develish laugh.

She is definitely a woman that Eren does not want to be associated with. Her animosity almost reminds him of Mikasa. She's ferocious, but at least Mikasa has a heart!

"Stop teasing him," Levi orders with an annoyed grunt. "You're just going to make him scared of us."

"He should be!" Petra argues back.

"That's right!" Auruo chimes in. "If we let this greenhorn think that he can do as he pleases than he's likely to kill us before we can kill him!"

"Or, if we stop pressuring the kid, we may be able to have a peaceful journey back towards civilisation," Levi growls at his squad.

"Don't you remember our goal, Captain?" Eld asks, his eyebrow raised towards his leader.

"Tch. Of course I do," the man rolls his eyes at his crew before grabbing onto Eren's hand. "That doesn't mean we can't be civil and get along until then. He hasn't done anything wrong to us yet, has he? No. I don't think so. You're treating him as if he's some animal about to be put down. Even if that is true, he's still a human being."

"That has killed thousands of our soldiers," Gunther reminds him.

"You've gone soft, Captain," Petra folds her arms over her chest. "Just be careful with that attitude. Kindness to the enemy shows a wavering trust."