Chapter Fifty

"You can always trust the untrustworthy because you can always trust that they will be untrustworthy. Its the trustworthy you can't trust."
Captain Jack Sparrow

With everyone sat around the table, their eyes glued to the cross that was in between them, Ava couldn't help but hold her breath. She silently made a prayer that if God was hearing her now, she only wished that the cross was not hollow like the first time.

Subconsciously grabbing the whiskey bottle, Ava poured the poison in Nate's cup, Sully's, Sam's cup and then hers last.

As silence loomed over them, Ava could hear her heart pounding harshly in her ear and that made her very uncomfortable. Her eyes finally broke from the cross only to the hammer beside her, passing it over to Sam. "Please, just open it already." She whispered to him, but because it was so silent, everyone could hear her pleading.

Sam took a sip of his alcohol before exhaling. "Okay." He said mainly to himself as he put down his drink, creating a little tap as it touched the table.

Grabbing the cross and raising the hammer up high, Sam abruptly stopped as he took in a sharp breath before facing the three. "I hope I don't go to hell for this." Sam gave out a weak smirk before slamming the hammer, breaking the end of the cross.

Ava watched with anticipation as she bit down on her nails. She watched as Sam's smirk faltered while his eyes sunk, holding the end of the cross up.

"Oh." Sam began. "Shit." He whispered.

"What?!" Nate weakly said as Ava shut her eyes, her heart slowly sunk.

"It's empty." Sam replied.

"What?"

But as Ava opened her eyes, Sam's smirk was plastered on his face again and shook the cross only for a parchment to fall out.

"You're such an asshole." Nate muttered as Sam laughed, picking up his cup once more.

"He's your brother." Sully said to Nate. "All right, skull and crossbones. Very good signs."

Sam's eyes finally twinkled and gleamed at the wax seal, "that's Avery's insignia."

His eyes darted to everyone as he smiled excitedly and even though Ava had theories jumbling in her head that she needed to tell someone about, Sam's smile made her lose grip of that. He was finally excited and happy. Who was she to take that away from him?

Unscrolling the little parchment, A cross was drawn with a skull at the bottom where two swords cross each other.

"What is this?" Sam said to himself before he began reading out-loud, "Ah.."Hodie mecum eris in paradiso.""

Quick on their feet, Nate and Ava translated the Latin scripture to English. "Today you will join me in paradise." 

"It's what Jesus said to Saint Dismas on the cross, but...what about these numbers here? What do you make of these?" Sam shifted the old and fragile looking paper towards Ava and Nathan.

"Some kind of code?" Sully tried while his cigar rested between his fingers. "Or a phone number?"

Ava chuckled as she bumped her shoulder into Sully's, "oh look at you, you old geezer, they definitely had phones back then."

"C'mon," Nate tapped Ava on her arm to grab her attention, "they're dates."

"Huh?" Sam leaned in closer as Nathan covered part of the numbers with his palm.