Chapter Thirty Nine

A year later...

"Oh jeez, I'm soooo done with paperwork." Ava groaned loudly as she stretched her limps, waiting intently by Nate's side as he locked their office door as she let out a little squeal at the astonishing feeling of her muscles stretching. 

"I know right?" For the past year, Nathan winded up working in Jameson Marines and he knew that Ava needed a place to work too, so he decided to instantly hook her up with an interview with Jameson himself. Jameson saw that Ava was as much capable as Nate and immediately hired her. 

One of the reasons that Nathan would find it sort of embarrassing to admit outloud was that the first month of working alone in Jameson Marines, he felt awkward and slightly alone without Ava's presence-since he got so used to her being around him, but it wasn't only that, he sincerely enjoyed her company too- but now that Ava is working side by side with him once again, Nathan felt so much more relieved.  

"Need me to drive you back home?" Nathan offered as he gripped his jacket tighter around his upper body when the sudden chilly air brushed against him. 

"Nah, I have my motor-"

"Hey, Ava- wait up!" Ava and Nate turned around only to see a jogging Tony heading their way, slightly out of breath.

Tony Elmos was a man from work of course, and ever since Ava set foot in this place, Nathan noticed he'd always try to grab her attention in any sort of way- the little jokes that Ava brushed off with forced giggles and the little compliments that Ava brushed off too, and mostly ignored. Nate knew that Ava wasn't oblivious to Tony's actions but he only figured that Ava was simply ignoring him, Nate swore that sometimes, he could even the sting bounce back to him- he only hoped Tony would get over his little crush on Ava since she seemed to be an unmovable rock. 

With his blue eyes, dirty blond hair and chiseled jaw, Nathan thought that Ava would find him irresistible- but years after, Nathan noticed the sudden change in Ava, her usual pocket picking on attractive male targets and high sexual interest in men seemed non-existent anymore.

"Hey, Tony- you alright buddy?" Nathan spoke as he watched the disheveled man curiously. Tony simply nodded his head in Nathan's direction and shifted his big and hopeful blue eyes at Ava.

"Hey, uh, I'm sorry if this seems so sudden, but- I-I-I was wondering if I can take you out for  dinner tomorrow night?" Even though Nathan wanted to give the two some privacy, it seemed that Tony was unshaken by his presence so Nathan curiously watched the event unfold as he took it as an opportunity to stay.

"After all, tomorrow's valentines day." Tony let out a nervous chuckle at Ava's blank stare.

Nathan's bewildered eyes darted to Ava as he patiently waited for her reply as he shoved his hands in his warm pockets.

Ava let out a raspy sigh as her eyes slowly rolled down to stare at her dirty combat boots that kissed the ends of her navy blue checkered jeans. She bit the insides of her cheeks as she thought of an excuse- a better excuse compared to a simple no so he'd leave her alone. Her dark eyes traveled back to Tony's bright blue orbs and the hopefulness that poured out of his eyes only irritated her for some reason.

"I don't know how to put this-" Ava faked a frown, "but...I'm sorry, Tony, I'm gay and tomorrow, I'm taking my girl out for dinner...b-because I'm gay."

Nathan's eyes bulged out at the unexpected reply but he soon had to recover his surprised facial expressions as Tony eyed him for confirmation.

"Oh, yeah, she's-she's...very gay. Totally." Nathan flashed his white teeths as Tony rubbed his neck in embarrassment.