Chapter Twenty Five

"Damn you villains, who are you? And from whence came you?"

-Blackbeard

The sudden light that burst thru the little dingy and filthy box Ava was trapped in, strained her eyes. She painfully groaned and shielded her eyes as she pushed herself up with all her remaining strength she had left in her.

"Muévelo." The guard pulled Ava by her arm and pushed her out of the cell only to catch her once more and cuff her.

Once again, he pushed her forward to encourage her to walk, his tight grip on her forearm to steer her.

"que día es, amigo?" Ava asked, as she tried to figure out what day it was and how long she was trapped in her dark box but all the guard said was; "Cállate."

The guard stopped Ava in her tracks when she was out in the courtyard, after he removed her handcuffs, he pushed her a little bit too harshly this time. Without her strength, she stumbled on the floor unexpectedly.

"Jesus, what a dick." She whispered to herself as she propped herself up, brushing the dirt off of her already stained prison outfit.

"You alright?" At the familiar voice, she turned to face Sam, instantly a tired but relieved smile propped on her lips at the sight of him.

"Hey- I'm glad to see you." She said, starting to walk with Sam thru the crowded space.

"By the way, how long have I been in there?" She turned to face Sam who pulled a cigarette from his chest pocket and propped it between his lips, striking up his match.

"You've been there for a week, Avy." Ava picked up the sudden wave of worry in Sam's tone, as much as she felt heart warmed, she didn't need to duel on that for now.

"A week? Christ almighty-" Ava sighed, "it felt like three days."

But as her eyes landed on Nathan in the courtyard, waiting for Sam, her brows furrowed. "Where's Nora?"

"She threw herself in solitary just like you did." As Sam spoke, his cigarette bounced up and and down between his lips.

"Wait what?"

"She said she needed to sleep." Sam shrugged. "Since she saw you fight, she thought it was a good idea if she threw herself in a fist fight to be thrown in solitary."

"I bet she's hibernating about now." Ava said, receiving a chuckle from Sam.

As Nathan's eyes settled on his older brother and close friend, he immediately perked up and made his way to them.

"Hey- did you enjoy your time in the shit box?" Nathan chuckled as Ava smirked.

"I sure did, beats sharing a cell with your brother." Sam turned to Ava with raised brows as she chuckled.

"I'm offended." Ava winked towards Sam as he slightly pouted, shaking his head dramatically.

"So, uh, two more weeks to go boys, eh?"

"I can't wait to have a nice warm shower." Sam said, sighing.

"And I can't freaking wait to just get outta here." Nathan said, but before he could continue, Rafe spotted the group and immediately made his way to them.

"Hello, Ava. How was your time in solitary?" A tight smirk grew on Rafe's lips, "I hope you found your senses in there."

Ava picked up his sarcasm and scoffed at the man, "you know, I'm beginning to believe that you only exist to freaking annoy me."

"Well, it's mutual." Rafe said turning away from her to face Sam.

As he spoke to Sam, Nathan and Ava pulled themselves away from the group and strutted away quietly so they wouldn't notice.

"Jeez, he's unbearable." Ava sighed, relieved she was away from Rafe's side.

"You can say that again, dude." Nathan nodded his head. "What's his deal anyways?"

"Who freaking knows, Nate. Who freaking knows."

As the moonlight shone thru their barred window, Sam and Ava were finally back in their cell together.

Sam tapped his fingers on his knee as he watched Ava stare at the ceiling, laying flat on her back.

"Why'd you throw yourself in solitary, Ava?"

Ava perked up and met his strong gaze. "That was...straight forward. Umm, I needed to blow some steam off?"

Sam sighed before he stood up, rubbing his forehead as he sat beside her. "C'mon, I know it's not that simple with you."

"I just...I just needed some time alone to think." Ava said with a shrug as Sam perked his lips.

But Sam saw the growing smirk on her face- it was that same smirk she pulled whenever she was going to tease him.

"Because you, my handsome, can be very distracting."

"Oh really?" Sam cocked an eyebrow as he chuckled.

"Mm-hmm." Ava's lip brushed his ear lobe as she leaned in closer to whisper in his ear. "I mean, if we weren't in prison...."

Sam wrapped his arm around her shoulder and pulled her nearer to him. "I mean, I calculated how long the guard goes away for..."

The thing was, unlike the rest of the inmates, Sam and Ava's cell faced the wall. It gave them enough privacy from other cellmates but it meant that a guard'll sit in front of their cell just in case they weren't up to something funny.

But while Ava was gone, Sam spent most of his restless nights calculating the time when the guard would leave and then come back.

Ava leaned her head on his shoulder and wrapped her arm around his abdomen, "and when does the guard come back again?"

Sam checked his watch and groaned, "he comes back in 10 minutes, unfortunately."

"Then let's just enjoy our lil' cuddling session for today, hmm?" Ava can feel herself doze off as she rested her eyes.

"Cuddling sounds good too." Sam kissed the top of her head before he squeezed her thigh.