Chapter Forty Nine

"Dead men tell no tales."

 – Hiram Breakes

The place crawling with armed goons made it difficult to run out in the open to get to the car.

Ava who was running through the corridors of the cellar with Sully, dodging armed goons here and there, urged Sully to get to the car without her as she rushed towards the opposite direction to get to Sam.

"Sam- you there?" Ava said in a whisper as she hid under a table, watching as armed goons run past her.

"Right here, princess." Sam answered, shuffling, hits and groans sounded from his end.

"I'm coming to you, where are you?" Ava said as she sneaked out the cellar's exit.

"I'm right outside...by the entrance." Sam paused. "Is Nathan with you?"

"No," seeing that there was still goons patrolling inside of the mansion, Ava sneakily crept up the stairs, planning to escape through a window to get to Sam.

"I'm right here." Nathan answered in a low whisper, indicating that he was only hiding. "I'm, uh..just a tad busy."

Seeing as there was no one in the upstairs hallway, Ava got up from her crouched position and entered one of the closest rooms to escape from. "Remember how I said we should've brought guns just in case? Is this the right time to say 'I told you so'?"

"Can it, Black." Ava couldn't help but let out a few giggles at Nathan, but her giddy moment was instantly cut short when the door behind her slammed shut with a loud bang.

With her heart hammering in her chest, Ava whipped around only to see the person she least expected to catch her.

"Rafe." Ava said as the corner of her lips lifted in amusement. "Fancy seeing you here. It's been a long time, huh?"

Rafe, however, was not amused. Even in the slightest. "I should have expected this to happen."

"Well, you didn't." Ava scoffed, watching carefully as Rafe inched closer and closer, as if hunting his prey. "Too bad, hmm?"

"I should've known wherever Sully is, you're not too far behind." Rafe clicked his tongue as he shook his head.

Rafe's sharp and treacherous eyes locked with Ava's playful ones as he cracked his knuckles. "Hand over the cross, Black."

"What cross?"

In an instant, Ava let out a little 'umph' as Rafe's fist slammed into her jaw. Not expecting so much impact, Ava landed on her hip with a loud thud. At the impact, the earpiece that allowed Ava to communicate with Sully, Sam and Nate flew out of her ear to dribble under the table without her knowledge.

"You know I don't like playing games." Rafe said, crouching to pull her up but Ava instantly swung her fist to punch him this time. Not toppling over, Ava kicked the back of his knee, making the man fall on all fours.

"Oh, but you know how much I adore games." Ava smirked, getting up on her feet. "If you want it so badly, come get it."

"It's my cross!" Rafe growled as he swung at Ava but the woman successfully dodged it as they circled each other.

"I don't recall seeing your name on it." Ava's quippy remark only frustrated Rafe further, he broke the space between them, curling his arm around Ava's neck successfully and tugging with great force.