Together

Mid August 2017

Back in the quietness of my bedroom, I fixed my eyes on the ceiling above.

In the past few days, I had kept my resolution in staying away from the Internet. With discipline and self-control, I was slowly starting to reap the benefits out of it. Today however, Mi-Ha sunbaenim took a cab all the way to my hometown, presented me an unimaginable offer and challenged my perceptions.

Within these four walls, my mind wandered endlessly, but not mindlessly.

"You've been staying offline for some time, haven't you? The public's opinion about you has flipped a hundred and eighty degrees."

The door to my safe-and-sound dwelling creaked open, revealing a rocky path which may or may not lead me to higher ground.

"Promise me you'd think this through thoroughly. It's a petition signed by the cast and crew for you to come back. Everyone but the executives have signed it. Although nothing's set in stone yet, but Hyeyeon-ah, we've got a good chance of bringing you back."

A stallion appeared behind the open door, its foreleg pawing on the soft ground, ready to take off despite my hesitations.

"I don't understand, sunbaenim... Why... Why would you... and the rest of them do this?"

At my apprehension, the stallion with warm brown mane comes a little closer.

"Because, that's the right thing to do.

"If I were to be truthful to myself, you really catch my eye as a rookie musical actress. I have a vivid memory about you rehearsing during the first few practices. You had undeniable natural talent, both in singing and acting, and I had no doubts about your exceptional ability if you were to undergo professional training. Most people lack the last quality which I saw in you, perseverance. You were always so aware about how you needed to put in more efforts than the rest of your peers, and you wouldn't leave the practice room even when it was break time. I saw how badly you wanted to shine on stage, I saw how determined you were towards your dream.

"I've seen countless slander and accusations in the industry, but I am more than certain that you are not the kind of person that the media paints you to be. I may not know you and Hyungsik personally apart from our interactions at work, but your love for each other was unquestionable from the start. It's as though the two of you knew each other before even meeting in the production... Even now that I think about it, it was very simple and very beautiful.

"My dear, love is not a mistake. It never is, and it never will be. If anything, I regret not chasing after the first love of my own. I found the both of you courageous, for taking that leap of faith. And I want to help you overcome this, to bring you back to how it all was before. We all do."

Forcing my swollen eyes open, I gathered every fiber of courage in my bones to study the signed petition. Knowing that the familiar names behind each signature was sure to break me, it was useless to keep the tears at bay. I held back nothing, letting my heart do as it pleased.

As I turned towards the last page of the document, a tiny postcard slipped out right between the pages. I picked up the handwritten note, without needing to read the author's name to know who wrote it.

Hyeyeon-ah, I'm sorry for doing what I did behind your back. It was really difficult to keep this secret mission from your knowledge, but I'm glad and proud that we did what we did, together as a team...

I know how diligent you have been in helping your mom and dad, and I'm proud that you (actually?) listened to Soojin's advice in staying away from the Internet. You've been smiling a lot more lately, and it has lifted my mood too, in case you don't already know :)