Treading on Thin Ice, Part I

May 2017

(Jaewook's Wedding at H Hotel, Seoul)

(Hyungsik's Narrative)

Even though this was a grand hall with a big intricate chandelier above us, it felt good to be back in the company of familiar faces.

Together with Woojin and Hwanhee, the three of us stood by the side of the altar, as we watched Jaewook and his bride walk down the aisle, arm in arm, representing the beginning of a lifetime union.

Our assumptions were right after all: Jaewook was the first F4 member to get hitched.

His bride was a college sweetheart whom I have not met but heard much of, and I could see that they were truly well-suited for each other. She was no doubt at the centre of this morning's attention, but to me, there was someone else who has my attention.

Even from the stage, I found myself struggling to look away from her.

Hyeyeon wore a pastel blue fitted and flare dress, her hair loosely permed at the ends. The smile which appeared on her face whenever Soojin whispered into her ears, made her even more lovely. Occasionally, when she glanced my way with her rose-tinted cheeks, I found myself smiling like a fool.

Heck, I was already a fool for her.

(Hyeyeon's Narrative)

As the audience witnessed Jaewook and his bride enter the hall, Soojin leaned into my ears with her whispering, "Wow, Jaewook-sshi looks unrecognizable. For once, he looks... put together."

Jaewook had a big face and a pair of small eyes, but he was bulky. His appearance may be terrifying at first sight, but he really was a gentle monster. A gentle monster who loved his strumming on his classical guitar.

I chuckled and stopped her from blabbering further. It wouldn't be the nicest thing for the groom or the bride to hear.

Soojin retreated for ten seconds before coming back to my ears, "You lucky girl, Hyungsik is staring at you. Oh, he looks so fiiiine!"

Soojin's boyfriend, Joon, must have heard her loud and clear as we heard him clear his throat. I tried to keep from smiling, but ultimately couldn't stop myself.

And yes, Hyungsik was looking fine today. Any grown woman in the hall would have no trouble echoing such thoughts. Hyungsik in a grey coloured three-piece suit was no joke. Not forgetting the life-endangering comma hair style, where the front of his hair had been curled to one side. It was problematic to keep my eyes off him since this morning when he came to pick me up.

When the groom and bride finally made their way to the middle of the stage, they exchanged their vows and declared their love for each other before the minister and the onlookers. But it seemed that Jaewook wasn't quite done with his vow, as one of his best men passed him an acoustic guitar.

The gentle monster was now crooning a self-composed ballad with his F4 members behind him, Hyungsik a part of the ensemble. My dear friend to my right repeatedly sighed breathlessly, and I was barely managing to keep myself composed.

"You don't have to give me your answer right now, Hyeyeon. I'll give you some time to think this through."

Looking up to see Hyungsik's delighted face, his words resonated in my head. To be fair, I have been thinking about his words in the last couple of days. His words consumed most of my grey matter, and at times, I could not relax until I sat down and processed my thoughts.

Who was I to kid? I like the boy. To be exact, I was in love with the boy. I had been, ever since the end of high school. I don't think my feelings for him has changed (unless an increase is considered a change). And until a few days ago, I was perfectly certain that he clearly viewed me as nothing more than a friend.