Jeju-Do (제주도), Part I

June 2017

(Hyeyeon's Studio)

"Did you just say JEJUUUU???"

At Soojin's shriek, I pulled the phone away from my face. Girl was this close to making me deaf. Chuckling, I put my phone on the speaker mode.

"Jiltuhae (I'm jealous), Hyeyeon ah..." Soojin sighed over the line, and I can already imagine how she'd look with her chin on her palms, coupled with a pair of daydreaming eyes.

I fell backward on my bed, my limbs spread across four corners. Closing my eyes, I breathed, "I can't remember when was the last time I went to Jeju."

"Who in the world cares when was the last time you went to Jeju when you're going to go with Hy—"

"2014!" I interrupted Soojin as my brain cells recalled.

"Errr OKAY. Now that we got that out of the way... I need to hear the details, Hyeyeon. How did Hyungsik convince you to travel to Jeju?"

I thought about Soojin's question and wondered the same. It was meant to be a trip for Hyungsik and his hyung, Siwan before the latter leaves for military service. Just how did I let myself agree to this plan? We should not be acting like the ordinary couples out there. Hyeyeon, you're breaking rule number 1: "dating" in public.

"I... I've honestly got no answer for you, Jin," a slow smile crept unto my face, "The worrier in me just switched off... and I said yes to his plans?"

"Well whatever it was you did, you did good," Soojin ended her notes sharply, as though shoving me her "thumbs up".

Turning to my right, I met Hyungsik's pictured gaze on the wall. His strong gaze brought me back to a few hours ago, when he shifted his eyes from my eyes to my...

I brought my fingers to my lower lip, brushing it softly across its surface. Embarrassment, giddiness, and pleasure washed over me as the memory flashed across my mind. I remember feeling the butterflies in my stomach when I closed my eyes, all the while reminding myself not to mess things up. When Hyungsik's lips came crashing onto mine, all senses in me fell apart. I forgot how to breathe, I was probably suffocating Hyungsik's hand with my overly-tight grip, and I probably kissed like a dead log.

Never has my heart throbbed so badly as it did tonight. The warmth of Hyungsik's hand on my neck, the closure of distance between us as our noses bumped, and the sweetness of his wet lips on my own. His lips, filled with want and hesitation, led me on and I vaguely recalled the sensation that went through my body as he parted his lips. It left me breathless, distressed, hot and bold... until Siwan's abrupt call to Hyungsik, which left the both of us gasping for air.

"Hyeyeon, are you still on the line???"

I sat up straight at Soojin's impatient calling, feeling awful for getting distracted once more, "Yes... Yes I am."

"Do you remember my advice to you about not closing your heart? I'm so glad you took it and ran with it," Soojin pointed out after a brief silence.

I nodded with a smile at the memory of our conversation, "I remember, and you were right, Jin."

"Aren't I always? And I've got a feeling I'll be right this time again. When you head to Jeju, keep this in mind," Soojin cleared her throat as she prepared to let me in on her big idea.

I furrowed my brows, "I'm all ears, Jin. What exactly do I need to keep in mind?"

"Siwan and Hyungsik are going together this Thursday, right? And Siwan would be leaving on Friday before noon?"