Out in the Open, Part I

Early August 2017

(Hyungsik's Narrative)

(On the way to Suvarnabhumi International Airport)

With nothing on our schedule but a plane ride back to Seoul, I shifted my weight on the back seat of our car ride, hoping to catch a snooze.

Although I was mentally rejuvenated by the trip to Bangkok, my body strangely felt especially worn out. Touring used to be such a breeze, and even with endless performances of ZE:A's songs, my body would still recover. I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry at the realization of me getting older.

Closing my eyes, I heard my soft-spoken but firm head agent, negotiating without qualms in English with an advertising firm over the phone. Ms. Ellen Park was in her late forties, and she was a refined and professional veteran agent who helped build UAA into what it is today. Raised in the States, she had the appearance of kind-hearted homemaker, but in reality her name was synonymous to workaholic syndrome.

She let out a long sigh after the short-lived phone conversation, a usual occurrence for her to relieve her stress. She was a believer of yoga and meditation, and it held the key to her calm charisma.

After a long pause, I heard the clearing of her throat. "Are you napping, Hyungsik-ah?"

"Ne, Park sajangnim (Yes, President Park)," I blinked as I opened my eyes, addressing her with formality. She was after all, the right hand woman to the chairman of our agency. "I was, but not anymore."

"You're too quick to give in to my requests," her eyebrows narrowed as she looked at me in slight surprise, "Most of the entertainers I've managed never gave in to me this easily."

"Old habits rarely go away," I smiled as I nodded in agreement, suddenly remembering the face behind the familiar saying. "I've been so used to it through my life as an idol, giving in without taking. Uh... I'll try to brush up on my trouble making skills."

"It's not too bad to have a wild streak in yourself once in a while. It's what makes you human, more relatable...," she spoke with gentleness, like a mother would with her child. As her fingers touched the rim of her glasses, her lips curved upwards, "Of course, I'm not asking you to live in Ah-In's footsteps, but there's a thing or two which you can learn from your sunbae. Although I must say, he never fails to give me over-the-top heart attacks."

Yoo Ah-In sunbaenim was a class act, and in a very different league of his game. I admired his love and passion for his craft, and his name did honestly play a major role in influencing my decision to join the agency. Although we were in the same age range, he was cool, learned and makes you warm up to him in the shortest time frame possible. He was undeniably a cool hyung, both on and off camera.

"As the maknae (youngest) of the team, I'll do my best not to disappoint you, Park sajangnim," I laughed in response.

The older lady patted my back, and went back to her phone. I did the same, slipping my earphones into the inner of my ears, as I let Park Hyo Shin sunbaenim's voice do its work of healing. 

It didn't take long before another phone call reached Ms. Ellen. Except this time, her expressions darkened and her eyebrows furrowed.

She lightly massaged her temple as she digested the incoming information. Her voice did not give away her state of perplexity. "Is that so? I'll get that verified and come back to you."

Hanging up her phone, I watched Ms. Ellen keep herself occupied with an online article. Her thumb scrolled through the article with speed, clicking into various sites with slight restlessness.