Us (우리)

Note to aid your understanding: In long-running musicals, there will be a number of different people who play each role. Everyone gets a chance to perform, and rest, and perform again. It's a part and parcel of professional theater life. So in this context, there are three actors playing Sam during the musical's run, and similarly three actresses playing Molly. Hopefully this clears up the air!

Mid-June 2017

(Seoul Musical Theatre)

"You know what?"

At Molly's voice, Hyungsik's head turned sharply towards her, a beam on his face. Molly, in her white tank top and jean suspender overalls, took slow steps towards him. As their distance closed, her arms playfully and comfortably wrapped around Hyungsik's neck. His eyes were filled with devotion as he lowered his head, his lips almost touching hers. His hands gently rubbed her back, coming in between the layer of her tank top and overalls.

"What?" Hyungsik's voice was smooth and low.

"I love you. I really love you," Molly stated softly, her hands coming to the sides of his face.

Hyungsik pulled Molly closer by the waist, planting his full lips into hers. Molly responded to the captor of her lips with a seductive giggle. As their lips moved slowly, Molly's hands found itself on his nape, while his hands moved leisurely around her back.

At their intimate encounter on stage, the audience – which comprised of the cast and crew of the musical – gave their oohs and aahs. The couple under the spotlight seemed oblivious to their surrounding and poured their emotions into the scenario. I felt a tiny bud of envy taking root within my heart, leading my clammy hands to hold still onto the arms of my seat.

Be cool about this, Hyeyeon. It's only a full-length rehearsal for Act I.

When they finally pulled away from the kiss and each other, Hyungsik stroked the strands of Molly's hair which fell over her brows with affection. He smiled at her as though she was his world as he answered, "Ditto."

Molly's upward eyes fell slightly at his one-worded reply, and there was a brief silence before she could respond. Although she tried her best in concealing it, we could all hear a tinge of hurt in her voice.

"Sam, why do you do that?"

Lines formed along Hyungsik's forehead as he spoke up, "Do what?"

Turning away from Hyungsik, Molly roamed around their apartment, moving from one end of the wall to the other, busying about the space in which they shared together. Molly shook her head at Hyungsik's ignorance, her shoulders shrugged. "Never mind."

Sensing the situation at hand, Hyungsik laid his eyes on his acoustic guitar which sat upright on the guitar stand by the two-door sideboard next to the red sofa. While Molly wasn't paying attention, he strolled carefully towards the instrument. As soon as the guitar landed within his grip, he knew he had won.

Strumming the chords with ease, Hyungsik gave his best in shedding the growing tension in the air, "Hey, hey what?"

Molly let out a sigh of dismay, somehow knowing what awaited her at the end of this conversation. Crossing her arms, her mono-lid eyes scanned his, "No, don't even try. It's not gonna work."

Hyungsik happily strummed the guitar anyway, adding new life to a classic ballad by bringing it to an upbeat tempo. As his fingers moved swiftly with the chords, his brows perked up as he began to sing.

Oh Molly, my darling
I've hungered for your touch
Oh such a long lonely time

As he sang, he kept up with Molly's steps. Doing her best not to meet his eye contact, Molly brushed past Hyungsik until she sat resolutely on the red sofa. Taking out her phone, she feigned ignorance, taking the opportunity to speak her mind when he strummed in between stanzas, "It's not working."