Eyes On You

Early July 2017

(Blue Square Samsung Card Hall)

"GOSH I CAN'T BELIEVE WE'RE HERE. But can somebody remind me again, why are we on the second floor?"

In the midst of an overly energetic crowd, Hyewon unnie had no issues blending in. Her high-pitched voice was straining, but entirely understandable, considering her level of excitement.

"Your dear sister here wouldn't accept the VIP tickets no matter what. And by the time we decided to buy the tickets, seats on the first floor were completely sold out."

Soojin spoke without battling an eyelid as she chewed on her gum, and I started to drown in a pool of regret for choosing to sit squeezed in between the two. They were clearly working well as a team today.

"Things may not be that different for her, seeing him from afar. But for people like us...," Hyewon unnie shook her head, arms crossed, unwilling to finish her sentences. 

Soojin pulled out her right hand over my chest, to which unnie's hands quickly met with a high-five.

"I'm glad the two of you are hitting it off. Ever since Soojin shared the 'one room in Jeju' incident with unnie, it seems like the two of you became best friends," I shivered at the thought.

A nudge came from my sister's shoulders, "We have so much in common, more than you actually know. Don't get too envious of us."

Soojin's head fell backwards as she laughed.

"Now back to Hyungsik. He's obviously all caught up with the preparation for his musical. Where and how does he find time to hold fan meetings? He's not human, is he?" My sister's eyebrows were raised, before a slight frown brought them down.

I had to admit, I do find Hyungsik to be a workaholic. Or rather, he is someone who leaned towards extremities. When he works, he overworks. When he plays, he could stay up all night just to win the key to unlock the next level. When he's in love, he...

"See, she's not even answering my questions now. Maybe he's really isn't a human. He's too beautiful a creature to be one, anyways."

"Well... Hyungsik would do anything for his fans. That's just the kind of guy he is," I smiled as I expressed my simple thoughts, knowing there was no need for any further explanation.

Soojin crossed her arms as she inched closer to examine my face, "Tsk tsk tsk... Won't you look at that face? Somebody's drowning in a pool of love and it's written all over her face!"

I brought my fists up to my cheeks, feeling exposed.

A grave sigh came out from Hyewon unnie's chest, "Ahh... the age of falling in love is always the best. You two better enjoy the time you have now. When you girls have kids in the future, you'd somehow wish for a time travel machine. Not because of your kids, but because of your husbands. It's like their romantic cells wilt year by year. Don't say I didn't warn you."

I'd like to tell my sister to cut down on her nagging, but tonight's probably not the best time to ruin her mood. That could wait. We were, after all, here to have a rocking good time.

Not before long, the lights in the hall started to dim. They did so row by row, from the back of the hall to the front, elevating the thrill of every fan in the house. As everyone started to chant the name of the man of the hour, we eagerly joined in.

Everyone's eyes were focused on the long and wide centre stage, that being the only place in the hall where the spotlights were pretty much focused on. There were a complete skirted sofa set on the right side of the stage, accompanied by an interstellar graphic on the large projector screen at the centre of the stage. I swore everyone around me had their phones on standby, their thumbs just inches away from the home button, fully ready to capture the moment when the star will finally make his entry.