Ohana

May 2017

(Studio apartment)

Summer nights were usually hot and humid, but tonight was not a summer night. Spring was passing away, but summer has yet to claim its peak. Nevertheless, the room felt as warm as it could get, to me.

Instead of lying flat on my back, I turned my body towards the left, hoping to catch a snooze on my hard bed. I shut my eyes closed but sleep evaded me. My body naturally turned to my right, but the results were no different.

The entire toss-and-turn process repeated itself for a few more times, until I decided to break the cycle. Sitting up, I flipped the blankets aside and headed towards the kitchen top. A glass of milk should do the trick.

I couldn't be more wrong.

At half past one, my mind was more alert than it was this morning. My mind was alert because of him.

Almost everything which he has shared today floated around my head, the scenes replaying itself. The way he told me to loosen up, the way he lightened the mood, and even the way he carried himself. He delved a little into his slow but worthwhile transition from idol singer to actor, his undying passion for music, his new found love in acting, and he likened his family's fervent support to his pillar of strength. I noted his choice of words and mature thinking, consistently amazed to see the man that he has now become.

And yet, he has never once lost his playful charms.

Hyungsik was making it very hard for me to sort out and bury my feelings.

"You're in trouble, aren't you?" Soojin's words from our phone conversation an hour ago reprised in my head, "You're in trouble. You're falling for him all over again, just like years ago."

"Why am I like this?" I questioned, half-hoping that Soojin held the key to my lock.

"Trust me, any girl who is in your shoes would've fallen for him too," Soojin stated matter-of-factly.

"I hate being like this," I confessed, "I'm not playing fair in this friendship. Out of the two of us, I think I'm the one who's changed. He hasn't changed that much despite his circumstances. I'm not sure what to feel anymore."

"Girl, there's nothing wrong in falling for your best friend. The last time I checked, it wasn't and it still isn't a sin."

I breathed heavily over the phone, "I'm... scared. I wanted to hide myself from him for as long as I could, but looks like I can't. Gosh, I can't even act like the best friend he knew from decades ago!"

Soojin chuckled on the other end, "I'm just relieved to see you falling for somebody. Seriously, I thought you were disconnected from the world when you wouldn't even give dating a try."

Shaking my head, I wrapped up the conversation, "You're not helping me at all. I'm going off to bed."

"Well, good luck with that. You'll be lucky if you catch a wink of sleep at all."

Soojin was right with her words. And not just the last sentence which came from her mouth, but the whole of it.

(The next morning, at work)

I'm not your everyday coffee drinker, but today called for a decent cup of Café Latte. With a profession that required high attentiveness on data and numbers, I had no other option. Never mind the eye bags, I needed to stay awake.

As I was working on my Pivot Table, my cell vibrated loudly next to my mouse. It was a text from Hyewon unnie.

Hyeyeon, can you make some time and babysit Hana this Saturday? Your brother-in-law and I will be going for a corporate luncheon of our business client. Let me know.