Jeju-Do (제주도), Part II

June 2017

"So... where are we going?"

I asked, my eyes narrowed, as I stole a glance at Hyungsik who was behind the wheel of the rented Hyundai Tucson.

Behind his devious smile, I saw a man who was prepared with the day's itinerary, and at the same time, he attained great delight in making me anxious.

"It's called," he chuckled, "a surprise."

I shrugged as nonchalantly as I could, "I don't really like surprises."

"I see what you did there, Hyeyeon. And I'm not falling for it," Hyungsik briefly lowered his sunglasses to his nose, shooting me a wink.

"I don't have a good feeling about this, Sik. I know what it's like when you keep things secretive," I folded my arms, my teeth lightly grazing the corners of my lips.

"Stop biting your lips," Hyungsik's voice was low as the car came to a stop before the red traffic light.

"I'm sorry. What?"

"Stop biting your lips, or I'll have to do this."

My O-shaped lips were immediately shut tight as Hyungsik's lips landed hastily on mine. His soft lips, filled with the aroma of Americano, lingered on mine even after the quick brush. He was both quick and brazen with his conduct, leaving me to pick up the pieces of my soul that scattered into the paper thin air.

"I couldn't resist it," Hyungsik piped, "Neomu kiyeowosseo (You were very cute)."

Although I was close to losing my breath, it was no secret that I enjoyed his attention, "Why does it feel like we're filming a k-drama?"

"I'd film a k-drama with you every day, for the rest of our lives."

There was something about the way Hyungsik said those words; it made me listen to it, treasure it. His reply, plain and simple, had a profound way of entering my soul and making my heart beat for him.

With lips curved upwards, I sent him a look that meant I appreciated his cheesy, affectionate answer.

As the traffic light turned green, the vehicle charged forward once again. The one-hour ride took us through the coastal roads of the island, letting us enjoy the view that came with it. We watched the seagulls flap their wings above sea level, sang along to old and melodious tunes from the radio, conversed about how absent-minded we were towards the gift of nature.

Hyungsik was an excellent conversation starter for car rides, having an intuitive ability to talk about almost everything under the sun. He knew when to be quiet too, giving me room when I was caught up in meditative thoughts.

His extroverted-introvert self was manifested in full degrees, and I couldn't help but to fall deeper into his charms.

"Ahh... We're here!" After a long drive, Hyungsik quipped with excitement as the car came to complete stop by the roadside parking lot.

A medium-sized ferry sat on the calm waves near the port, the words Seogwipo Submarine Tour carved in large prints on the steel bar of the vessel.

"Is this what I think it is?" I asked, elated.

"Shall we find out?" He chuckled, taking off his sunglasses.

I nodded, but with wariness. I searched his eyes, "What if... there are other people who recognizes you, Sik?"

"Fear not," he breathed, pulling up the zip of his green outerwear to his neck, concealing his crinkled nose and rosy lips with a face mask, "I came prepared."