The Unexpected V-isitor

End July 2017

(Hyungsik's Apartment)

"Breathe, Hyeyeon, breathe...," I uttered to myself as I plopped onto the living room couch, keeping my eyes locked on the wall clock.

It was half-past-nine in the evening, and Hyungsik would be stepping in anytime soon. Following the musical's press conference, Hyungsik had flown to Taipei for his much anticipated international fan meeting over the weekend, despite receiving several news reports about an impending typhoon in the country. His love for his fans knew no bounds, and while parting was difficult, it was with a happy heart of being able to see each other again, that we both said our goodbyes.

Missing him was an understatement. My stomach lurched at the thought of seeing him again, though it had only been three days. Having planned on surprising him for his safe return, I tugged playfully at the ribbons beneath the yellow and white helium balloons, trying to ease my mind from keeping time.

At the ding of the elevator, I heard approaching footsteps which were getting louder and louder, along with the wheels from a luggage. From the sound of it, I instantly recognized the footsteps as Hyungsik's. It had the usual tempo of his calm and collected walk, like a long-limb model strutting his walk on the catwalk. Rising to my feet, I anxiously brushed the lines of my striped maxi dress, tucked my hair behind my ears, wanting to look my best for Hyungsik.

I stood quietly behind the door, imagining myself launching into Hyungsik's arms when it opened.

"HYUNG!!"

A deep and husky voice of an unfamiliar younger man outside the door startled me. Though the doors were still closed, I could tell from Hyungsik's parched throat that he was not expecting a visitor.

"Taehyung, is that you?"

The visitor who seemed to have disguised himself with his dressing chuckled, "Ne (Yes)!"

There was a pause on Hyungsik's end before he seemingly pulled the younger man into a tight hug. "Ya! Jaljinaesseo? (Have you been well?) And just how long have you been standing outside? I had no idea you would be visiting at such an hour..."

"Kwaenchanhayo (It's okay), hyung. I came early because you know how terrible I am with directions. And I wanted to be early so that you would be surprised!"

Hyungsik was the one chuckling now, "Geurae (That's right). You've surprised me alright. Before we talk further, let's head in, shall we?"

Eavesdropping was fun while it lasted. I held my breath, all of a sudden freaking out at the thought of being found out by Hyungsik's dongsaeng (younger friend). It was one thing to be known as an item by our former schoolmates, and a totally different matter when it came to Hyungsik's celebrity friends. I honestly don't think I've prepared myself for this moment, ever.

*1-2-3-1*

"You can leave your shoes by the door, right here, Taehyung-ah," Hyungsik remarked casually, as the main door swung open.

"Ne hyung," The younger man in a black hoodie suit and face mask replied with his head down. As he took off his sneakers, his face mask, and his hoodie over his head, I saw a healthy young man in his early 20's flashing a bright smile as he lifted his eyes, scanning me from head to toe, "Err... hyung, there's a woman in your house."

Hyungsik, casually but well-dressed in a black buttoned outerwear and blue faded jeans, had allowed his visitor to enter his house first, trailing closely behind him. He was also oblivious to the fact that I was standing right here, nervously smiling and clenching to the hem of my dress.