25. Angel's Shadow

It was screaming itself to her to her mind and it wouldn’t leave. Jace. She felt like she had to get to him, as if she didn’t, then something really terrible would happen. Jace. And that’s how she had ended up in front of the infirmary door so quickly, and she pounded heavily on the door, more keen than she had ever been. Jace. Brother Zachariah opened the hesitantly, and stared strangely at Clary.

She rushed into the room, eyes directed on Jace’s bright glow. Over and over again, she saw the rune flash in her head. But it didn’t go away, it was as if it was permanently taped to her mind.

“I really need a stele. Please!” Clary begged. The emotions of the rune were consuming her.

Brother Zechariah reached nearby to a table where Jace’s stele had lay, and he hurriedly passed it to Clary.

What’s happening Clary? Brother Zachariah’s voice appeared in her head.

But Clary’s emotions were too eager – too built up to realise. Clary quickly retrieved the stele from him, and proceeded to begin the rune which was begging itself to be used. As she touched the stele to Jace’s skin on his stomach in which she had lifted his shirt to reach, she suddenly felt so… wrong. Like maybe, perhaps it was some sort of foreign rune, perhaps one from demons. It felt forbidden. And yet, she couldn’t stop.

She traced the curved line at the bottom, continuing with the pointed lines on top. Even though the struggle of its forbidden nature was creeping upon her, her wrist and fingers moved perfectly to trace the lines of the rune stuck in her head. Her energy suddenly started draining, but she pushed on, controlling the shakiness in her wrists and drawing the last curved lines that represented wings. And as the tip of the stele left his skin, she collapsed to the ground in such a way she couldn’t explain.

It was like pain. But there was emptiness too. She couldn’t feel her surroundings, and only existed in this dark and hollow realm. She became confused.

Pain shot up in her, but it wasn’t the usual pain. It was different. It was of a divine nature… so much it was … heavenly. A bright light appeared at the corner of this dark realm, and she found herself weakly moving towards it. The light became brighter and closer, so much that it was blinding. Clary shut her eyes in pain, and as she reopened them, she wasn’t in the same place anymore.

The ground was soft and grey, but rubble and ash surrounded her feet, suggesting discomfort. She looked around. Where was she? And all at once, vast images flew at her. An image of dark angels leaving the world in devastation, crying families, and what appeared in her mind as the last shadowhunter – a young man with blond locks who was rather unclear to her, giving up at the hands of those angels and allowing them to kill him. Many more images flashed in her mind, and then all of a sudden, they all disappeared and a large angel appeared before her eyes.

The angel seemed so…. Superior. It shrunk down to the size of Clary, and knelt down to pick Clary up. Clary felt heavenly fire rush through her all at once, and it stayed in her body, but she was unaffected. In fact, she felt stronger.

The angel held onto her wrists with both its hands, and talked to her with the heavens soothing voice that sounded like music. But its voice seemed broken, and sad.

“Clary, listen closely. Johnathan Morgenstern has used the Infernal Cup and managed to pull the angels down to earth, and forced them to drink it upon their will. Most of our angels have left the heaven’s now, and there is only so much that will happen soon. That rune you used. It is the rune that I, the creator of the heavens and the earth, have presented you with. Yes I am the leader of heaven’s army. I am the creator.”

“Then why can’t you just-“ Clary started.

“Listen carefully, please. That rune I presented you with, it’s what I use to transfer heavenly fire into every new angel. Every time a shadowhunter dies and comes to heaven, this rune is placed upon them. You shouldn’t have known about this, but this was our only hope for the angelic race to survive.

“But why of all people, why do I-

“No, you need to listen Clary. You see, the reason why Jace has all that heavenly fire in him, is because all the angels who went to earth and lost their heavenly fire, had to STORE IT IN ANOTHER BEING ON EARTH. And since Jace had experienced heavenly fire before, it automatically went to him. That rune you have drawn on him, it will transfer into other heavenly things nearest to him, in this case, shadowhunter weapons, and with that, you can defeat the evil in angels. Clary there is so much I want to tell you. But there isn’t enough time. I may be taken by Jonathan at any moment – I am unsure of my fate. This man wields such evil power at a level I do not understand. But you must return to earth now. Please. Go.”

“Please... I need answers. Please.” This was so hard to process for her, and tears were welling up in her eyes from this overwhelmed state.

“Return to earth Clary. I promise, if this all works out in the end, I will tell you EVERYTHING. Trust me. But you need to go back, before it’s too late.”

Clary stared at the creator, her throat ready to burst out with a million questions, but she felt a peace run over her, and then she felt herself steady as she closed her eyes. She felt herself navigate through an empty land, before awaking back on earth.

Her eyes fluttered open, and it refocused. Brother Zachariah and Tessa had only just started moving toward her, and she shakily sat up. She realised, that it was as if no time had passed at all.

She then realised numerous weapons around the room, a few being Brother Zachariah’s as well as Jace’s seraph blade, floating toward him and spinning around him in a circle. A bit of his heavenly glow was lifted off him, and like a wisp it floated into each of the weapons, lighting each one with a fiery glow. The weapons dropped to the ground, and Clary watched as Jace’s body had dramatically lost its golden light.

She stared at him, and started kneeling in order to cup his face. Her head hovered right above his. And just in a few seconds, his eyelash moved, and they too fluttered open to reveal his beautiful gold eyes.

Clary’s eyes burst with tears in happiness, and she leaned in to hug him lovingly.

“Jace,” she smiled, and in those moments, nothing else mattered.

 ____________________________________________________________________________

I've had fun writing this, hope you've had fun reading! Love you all! Comment what you thought about it below :) Bye!

Xoxoxoxox

Chloe :S