24. Runes

Here we go next chapter done! I edited it in pretty much two minutes just so I could get it out to you guys quickly. So there might be a few mistakes. But I'm sure all your brilliant minds are smart enough to figure it out :D Okay. Read on!

_____________________________________________________________________________

Clary strolled towards the infirmary, preparing to see Jace again for what felt like the hundredth time. She walked slowly, staring down at her feet as she felt the heat of sun rays brushing against her shoulder. She turned to her left to face a window, and looked over the many houses and buildings, as well as the pale green leaves floating away in the wind. And at the thought of Sebastian, she started to imagine the world burning down; flames licking across every street, and an eternal disaster that would forever change the world. She kept her eyes on an overjoyed mundane girl with flushed cheeks and short blond locks tied into pigtails, and she watched as she freely leaped and hopped down the street with an ice cream in hand. There was so much happiness in this world, but oh, she could imagine Sebastian stripping the land bare and causing complete chaos. She imagined that little joyous girl being consumed in the flames that would take down the whole world – and it would all be by Sebastian’s hand. And she got lost in her own thoughts, again; imagining losing everyone she’d ever loved, and then trying to resolve how to fight Sebastian and failing.

“You know… that won’t all happen. We’ll fight through this. When did you lose all your warrior faith and hope?” Tessa asked as she came up to her out from her room just nearby.

Clary turned around quickly and opened her mouth halfway, about to come up with some lecture about everything she’d been through, when she realised that Tessa was like a mindreader.

“Wait.. How.. What?”

Tessa gently smiled a slight forced smile, like it was something that was with good intentions, but not something to be really smiling about.

“Look, if you didn’t know, Brother Zachariah really cares about Jace, I mean he is somewhat indebted to the Herondales… and he just wanted to do everything he can to help him. I suggested looking into your memories to find out things you wouldn’t usually mention that could be important, but of course I know it wasn’t right to do this and I’m sorry if I infiltrated your person space, but I-“

Clary breathed out. “You know, if you wanted to know anything, you could have asked me, right?” she said in a gentle voice.

“Yes. Of course. I’m so sorry.”

“No, it’s okay. You were just helping Jace right?”

“Right.”

They stood in silence for a few second.

“Thank you,” Clary stated genuinely.

“What for? I hadn’t exactly done anything.”

“For just… caring. For having so much faith that he’ll be alright, when I’m struggling to. Even against the odds, you’re still going so.. strong..” Clary nodded at her words.

Tessa laughed. “Considering everything I’ve been through, I know how hard it is. But believe me, I’ve been in situations where having faith was the only way out.” Tessa smiled and put her hand on Clary’s shoulder, and then she nodded – suggesting a sign of assurance.

“Thank you Tessa. Really Tessa. Thank you.” Clary smiled, and she felt this overwhelming peace rush over her. It wasn’t like the normal kind of feelings of ease, but she literally felt like there were rainbows of energy circling her body. She closed her eyes in attempt to regain her senses, but instead that just caused those feelings to sharpen. As she re-opened her eyes, she saw the streams of light through the window swirling together with the rainbow energy front of her, and they spun around and around so fast that it formed an image of a bright red flame.

Clary stood confused. She stared more carefully at the image of the auburn flame, and as she focused her eyes, a rune popped out. It had soft lines curving around the bottom of the rune, and sharp pointed lines at the top – lines that represented a flame. And on each side of the flame was a long curved line, to represent wings.

Tessa stared at her confused, as she watched Clary stare into space and take heavy breaths.

“Are you alright, Clary?”

Clary slowly nodded, before she tore off down the hallway towards the infirmary. She had no idea what was happening. The rune confused her, but she knew that she knew that the image was anything but her imagination. And the way the rune represented itself to her; it made the rune seem superior – like it felt wrong to know it. But her feet were already carrying her to the infirmary, and if the peaceful feeling rushing in her body was telling her anything about the rune, it was one thing. Jace.