11. Where's the Hope?

It has been five days ever since Jace and Clary had been taken away. No one had really eaten, despite Maryse’s continuous lectures about how it was important food was. But then again, it would be a lie to say that Maryse didn’t get skinnier too. They had tried everything; Izzy, Alec and Tessa tried at numerous points of the day to track them or change into them, Magnus had used spells, and everyone else had gone out on patrols or went hunting for them.

 Of course, Alec, Iz, and Tess were desperate to go out finding them too, but Robert always said that they needed them to stay at home and keep attempting to track Clary and Jace. He said that if there was a point where they either could be tracked or they knew where they were, that they needed to be able to find them instantly.

But it felt like all hope was lost. They had tried tracking and changing, more than 10 times a day, and Magnus was continuously weakened by his unhelpful magic. Everyone’s brains were telling them to give up, but their hearts spoke of things much different. Of how much Jace and Clary have done for them; with Jace saving their lives numerous times, and Clary creating the binding rune that prevented the world from ultimate death and chaos. They had done too much for everyone to just quit now, no matter how hard this was.

But worst of all, everyone was worried sick about what was going to happen, or even happening right now to them. Every night, muffled cries were heard through the bedroom doors; and they were ones loud enough to prevent sleep. But then again, no one really slept anyway.

But everyone knew that no matter what, they had to keep on pushing on. No matter how discouraging it was, that giving up was never an option.

________________________________________________

These five days of pure pain had been horrifying to Clary and Jace. Jace was hurt to the maximum; he had cuts and wounds all over his body that were covered in a clump of bandages. It pained for him to talk, but he always tried to in attempt to reassure Clary that he was okay. And as for Clary, well she didn’t want to talk about it. Nothing happened like the way it did on the second day, but even though she wasn’t physically hurt, things happened to her that would be considered much worse.

Every once a day, Sebastian would come in to the cell to give Clary a massive meal. She always tried to share it with Jace, but he continuously resisted. In the end though his weakness would always give in and he would quickly eat the food he was given.

The night sky shone its moonlight into the cell, and the stars glittered in the sky.
Clary stared at Jace’s hopeless body on the floor. Tears threatened her overworked eyes, but she screamed at herself to stop crying.

‘Don’t cry Clary. Don’t cry. Come on you can do this. You need to find a way. You need to help Jace. You can’t sit here doing nothing. He needs you Clary, he needs you,’ she told herself. Looking around, she saw a slightly open door of a room opposite to their cell. As she squinted to see what was inside, she realised the familiar look of Jace’s Herondale dagger and his stele on the table. Many people would have questioned how those things got there as he was in bed when captured, but the answer was simple – it was Jace. And things somehow always made sense like that.

But it was impossible to get to there anyway. Sure, she needed a stele, but they were chained up, never to be released. Well that would be until Sebastian feeds them the Infernal Cup. But being an infernal shadowhunter was a prison of its own, and it was much worse than the one that they were in right now.

What else was there she could do? She thought hard. And that’s when it struck her, and she felt like the stupidest person alive.