Chapter 36

Watching as Midoriya was wheeled out of the arena, Ayano started to make her way down to the waiting rooms. She was going to be next. Against Iida.

"Miss Hydia!" Iida called from behind Ayano.

Ayano turned around and looked at Iida. "Yes?"

"I wish you the best of luck in our match!" He exclaimed.

Ayano looked at him with a smirk, "I wish the same to you, Iida." With that, she turned around and started walking down to the rooms.

—————————
Ayano listened to the crowd cheer as both her and Iida walked onto the arena. It had been a bit of a wait for their match to get started due to the state the arena was in after Todorki and Midoriya's match, but now, it was finally time for Ayano and Iida to duke it out.

"In the first round, this Ice Princess showed us her speed in both her feet and her thinking! It's Ayano Hyida from the hero course!" Present Mic announced to the crowd. "Versus— after being a puppet for a sales pitch, this guy's ready for his redemption! It's Tenya Iida from the hero course!"

"You ready for this, Iida?" Ayano asked, cracking her knuckles.

"Let's make sure this is an even match!" Iida exclaimed.

"Right." Ayano agreed.

"Alright... Let's get this match going! And... Start!" Present Mic shouted.

At that word, Ayano covered the soles of her boots with ice, and she slid to the side, watching as Iida fling himself towards her at unimaginable speeds.

Ayano swerved to the side to avoid getting hit by him, only for Iida to swerve the same exact direction as her.

"Looks like this match might be a round of cat and mouse everybody! But here's the question, who's the cat, and who's the mouse!" Present Mic announced.

I think it's pretty obvious that I'm the mouse. Ayano thought to herself, swerving yet again to the side to avoid an oncoming Iida.

She skidded to a stop just as she reached the edge of the arena, her feet just in front of the white line. Looking behind her, Ayano saw that Iida had also stopped, a faint trail of smoke rising from his engine calves.

"It seems like they've both run out a steam!" Present Mic observed.

Ayano glanced at the box, she wasn't out of steam, not yet. The thing that made her stop was that the ice on her shoes had started to melt, causing the rubber sole of her boots to poke through the ice and interrupt the smooth sliding she had. Brushing her hand against her boots, she froze them once again, and was ready to move again. Unfortunately for her, so was Iida.

Again, it turned into another cat and mouse chase.

Damn, this might go on forever. Ayano thought to herself, If neither of us do something we'll end up running out of time. She turned towards Iida suddenly as she decided to finally do something. Grabbing onto the running Iida, Ayano felt herself skid back, until the two of them skidded to a halt, dust coming up from underneath their feet. The ice that was around her boots had cracked, leaving her boots ice free.

"Woah! Looks like Hyida has decided to take action!" Present Mic shouted.

Ayano squeezed Iida's shoulders, watching as ice started to spread on his clothes. It didn't spread to much though, since Iida soon realized what was happening and quickly pulled away, though he managed to get hold of one of Ayano's gloves as he did so, the glove falling to the ground a ways away from the two.

Ayano glanced at the glove, then glanced back at Iida. There's no telling what will happen without that glove! Ayano thought with panic. Turning, Ayano made her way towards the glove. Though she wasn't able to get it since she got tackled to the ground only inches away from reaching it.

"Woah! Looks like Iida's keen on keeping Hyida away from that glove of hers!" Present Mic shouted.

"You have no idea what you're doing Iida!" Ayano shouted, struggling to get out from under him.

"I know exactly what I'm doing!" He responded, "You glove is what allows you to use your quirk freely, isn't it?"

Ayano glanced at him. "No! If I don't have my glove-" she was cut off as her ungloved hand fell to the ground, and she looked with a widened eye as ice started to spread quickly. "Iida!" She screeched in panic, a pole of ice materializing in her hand as she prayed both her and Iida Ayano from the quickly freezing ground, luckily, once the contact was broken between her hand and the ground, the fast spreading ice stopped.

"Woah! Looks at all that ice folks! These last two matches have been quite cool, haven't they?" Present Mic shouted, in an attempt to make a joke. Some of the crowd laughed, but more of them were focused on the match

The pole shattered to pieces under the weight of the two teens, and they fell to the ground. Ayano quickly snatched up her glove and slid it back on. "As I was trying to say, I can't control my quirk, I've told you this before. These gloves prevent me from freezing everything I touch." She was cut off by a sudden icy pain on the bridge of her nose and the right side of her face. Reaching up, she felt the smooth surface of ice peaking out from under her bandages. The object she made wasn't big, so the ice didn't spread too much, but she didn't want to risk it anymore.

A sudden movement from the corner of her eye broke her out of her thoughts, and there was a sudden pull at her head. Closing her eye, she felt herself stumble forwards.

"It looks like while Miss Hyida was spaced out, Iida took the chance to swipe away the bandages she kept over her face. Was that a smart move?" Present Mic shouted.

Ayano had her head down, so the crowd couldn't see the ice covering just over half of her face.

"Iida." Ayano said darkly. "Give me the bandages."

"I'm afraid I can't do that Miss Hyida." He responded.

From the tone of his voice, Ayano knew he wasn't going to let up. So she took a deep breath and looked up, the frozen half of her face glistening in the light of the sun.

"Woah! It looks like Hyida's face is half frozen! Is that what she's been hiding under the bandages?" Present Mic shouted. "Can she even see out of her right eye?"

At that comment, Ayano saw Iida's eyes light up, and he activated his quirk. It only took seconds for Ayano to be thrown out of bounds. "You used my blind side." She observed, moving her head so she could see Iida out of her good eye. "I'm surprised you can play dirty."

"Hyida has been pushed out of bounds!" Midnight announced, "Iida moves onto the third round!"