"Get off of me please!"

He pulled me into his chest, holding me as my cries got heavier. He'd continuously kiss my forehead and apologize over and over as my body shook in fear. I can't believe that just happened. I never once thought that he would hurt me physically.

——

"Hey babe," he opened the door.

His 6'4 frame towered over me.

"Hey," I looked up at him, having to stand up on my tip toes to give him a kiss.

"How was your day?" I asked as I walked in, placing my purse in its normal place on his desk.

"Good. I'm just ready to lie down," I plopped down on my bed, "running around with Max all day can get pretty tiring."

"I bet. It looked like he had a great time."

"He's already making arrangements with Aubrey to go back over there," I chuckled, "I had to remind him that you're graduation is next weekend. He told you that we were all invited to Coachella the following Saturday?"

"Yeah he did. That'll be cool. We'll all get to chill before we go to New York. That's still a go right? My agent booked tickets for you and Max."

"Yeah, Max is out of school by then and I took that week off from work when you first told me the draft date remember?"

"Oh yeah, I forgot about that," he sat down and wrapped his arms around my waist, resting his chin on my shoulder, "that'll be perfect. Wherever I end up, I already have house viewings set up for us. Max will be there to give his opinion too. I already told him he could have his own room."

"It sounds exciting," I nodded, picking up a picture of us that was framed on my nightstand. One of his friends had captured the priceless moment of us sharing a kiss in the midst of screaming fans after beating Syracuse to advance to the Final Four. We were so happy and so in love. You could see it.

"You remember that night? You were so happy," he said to me, "my biggest fan."

"You scored 32 points, 12 assist and 10 rebounds that night," I remembered, "your uncle was having the time of his life watching you play."

"I want a moment like this again," he kissed my shoulder, "when I win an NBA Championship. Just a few changes though."

"Like what?"

"I was thinking...a ring on that finger," he pointed to my hand that cupped his cheek in the picture, "and a little Jay or Emilia in that belly."

I looked back and smiled. He was probably surprised at how warm I was towards him today. Any other time I'd answer with "I don't know" or "I'm not sure" or nothing at all. Just cold.

"Baby, look at me," he helped me to turn around and face him, "I fucked up, disrespected you and all that shit. I'm sorry, but I promise you I'm going to make things better with us. I threw away all the alcohol I had in my possession and I'm getting my focus back on making this life for us-"

"Jay, I've forgiven you. I can't forget it, but I've forgiven you already," I ran my fingers through my hair, "I know how hard things are for you right now with family and the draft...I'm here for you. I've been with you since the start of this thing."

"Four years can't be thrown away. It's not gonna be easy but we can get through it," he took my hand, noticing the marks on my arms.

I thought back to the one he had left on her face. He wore his guilt. He had no business doing that to me. I didn't deserve that. No woman deserves that.