Chapter Sixty

Emilia

Aubrey and I woke up bright and early to catch our flight to New York. 4:00 am to be exact. I was tired. We both slept for a majority of the six hour flight. We landed at a quarter til eleven. My photo shoot started at one, so that was just enough time to grab some food and ride to Neo Studios on Broadway.

The first thing I noticed when I walked in was the set. It was beautiful. The kitchen set up had details that symbolized my blended culture; including small replicas of the Puerto Rican, Irish, and American flags in strategic places. The counters and cabinets were a deep earthy wood that I love. Jars of banana jam and sofrito sauce along with fresh native fruit and adobo lined the countertops with family photos. I was in awe. It really looked like a blend of the kitchens from both sides of my family.

My editor was present, along with the head of HarperCollins and with dozens of other people. I spoke with them briefly and introduced them to Aubrey. All exchanging welcoming, friendly smiles. From there I was made acquainted with the shoot's stylist for clothing, hair, and make up. They led us back to my dressing room, Aubrey sat on the sofa towards the back while I let the people do their jobs.

I asked that everything be kept simple. I loved being natural with minimum make up and hair manipulation. They made me feel comfortable in a white v-neck top with an A-line skirt crafted with a buttoned front and a knee-length silhouette and a strappy sandal heel.

I would peak back at Aubrey from time to time. He'd smile and tell me how beautiful I was. I love that man.

I didn't start out in the kitchen set up. Instead I was instructed to stand in front of a white backdrop across the room. This was explained to me as being the cover shot. A few days ago, Melinda, the editor, told me to be sure I brought the original diary that I had written all of my recipes in. Little did I know it would be used for the shoot. I posed with it in my hand differently each time the photographer snapped his camera. Wanting to keep it fun and quirky, I held it up to my face midway at the bridge of my nose giving my best smize. The photographer loved it.

"That's the shot! We have it!" he stepped back and looked at the photos.

Belinda was smiling and motioned me to come look. I was in love. Everything was perfect. My curly hair kept it fun, the camera captured the light in my eyes perfectly, skin glowing and the best part being then authenticity of the diary. It was slightly worn and read "Emilia's recipes and their stories" on the front just as I had written on it many years ago.

It was time for me to change into my second look for the kitchen. Looking around along the way, I didn't see Aubrey. I remembered him being front a center for the first snaps of the camera. When did he leave? Did he even see my money shot?

When I walked into my dressing room, I was in complete shock. There was Aubrey of course, but in the company of three other people. My mother, grandma Rosalyn and Adelaide.

"Surprise!" they said in unison.

I hadn't seen my grandmothers since last Christmas. They lived in Massachusetts so it made it hard. The last thing I was expecting was to see them here.

"Hi Grandma!" I hugged them one at a time. They still looked the same; in good health and all smiles not looking anything like their age.

"Hello there beautiful," grandma Adelaide hugged me, "it's been a long time.

"Oh look at my baby," grandma Rosalyn was next,"we have a stunning woman for a granddaughter don't we, Adelaide?"

"Indeed. Looking just like her mother with her daddy's eyes," she smiled.

"You do look very nice, Emilia," my
mom hugged me.

"Thank you mommy. Question? How did you all get here?"