Chapter Thirty-Six

Emilia

Flying on a plane has kinda become my thing lately. As quickly as I was back in California, I was headed back up North on the east coast. I guess this would start becoming a regular thing with OVOSOUND being headquartered in Toronto. I made sure to use all six hours to sleep. Aubrey said that studio sessions tend to run from late in the evenings into the early morning. That's how he operated; on the night owl schedule. He was meeting me at the airport and taking me over to watch Serena compete in the semi-finals of the Rogers Cup. I've never been to a tennis match and didn't know exactly what to wear. Being in his company, I'm sure eyes would be on him, meaning they would be on me, meaning I couldn't go for the bummy sweats and t-shirt look that would be the most comfortable for the ride. I picked my most comfortable jeans, high-top Adidas, and gray heathered v-neck. Doing anything to my hair wasn't an option. I'd mess it up by sleeping on it. Perfect reason to wear the fitted Golden State Warriors hat Max had given me.

I landed around five-thirty. Remembering that the match was at six, I hustled to claim my baggage and get out to the front where he said he'd be waiting in a black SUV. Jibba stepped out from the driver's side as I started walking towards the vehicle. As always, he greeted me with a smile and took my bags for me. I opened the passengers' door for myself, knowing that Aubrey likes to be low-key.

"Hey you," he smiled as I closed the door behind me. I put my arms around him and kissed his lips, letting in linger for a few seconds. I missed him.

"Hey handsome," I took in his crisp line up, clean white hoodie and navy tack pants. He always made dressing so simple, look so freaking sexy. Jesus.

"Are those new?" he looked down at my shoes before taking my leg and sitting it on his lap, "I like these."

"They've just been buried in my closet. I've had them for a minute."

"I gotta get you in my shoes. The OVO edition Jordans, they're nice as fuck."

"Luckily, Max and I don't have the same shoe size. I'm sure he'd steal them from me as soon as he knew I had them."

"I'll get him his own," he laughed, "his sneaker fetish is just as crazy as mine. I gotta look out for lil bro."

Jibba hopped back in the driver's seat and pulled off a few moments later.

"You know we're gonna have to do something about this right?" he tapped the bill of my hat, "your man is the Global Ambassador for the Raptors. I love Steph and all but I gotta get you out of this blue and gold."

"I was born in the north but I'm Cali raised. Golden State's in my blood, babe."

"Come on," he laughed, "I can't be bringing you to games with me and you're decked out in Warrior gear."

"When I come to games with you I'll be dressed neutral...unless you guys are playing Golden State then its fair game" I said, "but who said I'd be going to Raptor's games with you anyway sir?"

"Girl please, you're mine now," he chuckled, "Stop flexin' on The Boy."

"Yeah, yeah whatever. You know I'll be there as long as you want to have me."

"This free schedule means I get you whenever I want. I like that."

His phone grasped his attention as it vibrated in his lap. I watched his facial expression turn more on the serious side as he read. He sighed a few times as he responded back. I could tell he was bothered by whatever it was.

"Everything okay?" my hand massaged the back of his neck.

"Yeah, I'm just talking to my publicist about this whole shooting thing. Different article writers and social media have really been putting the pressure on me to say something about it. I've been wanting to. She just had to check some writer the other day that was contacting her on some bullshit. My heart has been telling me to say something so I'm going to meet with her and Oliver about it tomorrow morning. "