45

I look down at my phone and check the time. I should have been inside ten minutes ago, but Luke asked me to wait for him in front of the clinic where we would see the sex of our baby. Maybe he is just running late, I sigh and decide to give him two more minutes. 

Two minutes pass and he is still nowhere to be found, I grab my stuff from the small bench where I was sitting. I am about to enter the building when I hear my name being called. "Christine," I turn around and see Luke running towards me. I let out a sigh of relief. I am relief knowing he will be here with me. I know he'll probably win our bet and never shut up about it, but it felt good knowing I have someone to go through this with me.

Believe it or not, right now I am scared. Finding out the sex will just be proof of how real this is. I am pregnant, I've been down this road before. I know what to do, what to expect and how to get through this, but I am still nervous. Nervous not about the pregnancy itself, but about the baby. Would I fail as a mother? I failed with Jacob pretty badly and I certainly did not want to make the same mistakes. I sigh, Jake is fine. He is rude and disrespectful, but he still has some good qualities. He is blunt, honest, highly intelligent for his age, and he is wise. "I'm sorry I'm late," he apologizes, "I just couldn't find a parking and um-" he continues. "No excuses," he finishes.

"It's fine," I tell him honestly, "you have to enter in the back to find parking," I tell him. It is really hard to find parking in the plaza. Over time, I learned where the best parkings are.

He chuckles, "should have told me that yesterday," I nod my head in agreement. I give him a smile and he returns it. We just stand there staring at each other. Maybe it is the fact that we don't see each other as often, but it is awkward. He is staring deep into me, he looks into my eyes for a moment. I pull away from the eye contact and look down. I don't like it when people stare into my eyes. 

My eyes are weird and it usually makes people think I'm weird. I look up and Luke is still staring at me. He scratches his throat and breaks the eye contact. "We should go," he says. I nod my head in agreement. I enter the building and am greeted by the familiar faces. 

I take a seat and start answering the questionnaires. Everyone one of the nurses and patients are staring at me or probably at Luke. I have never been here with anyone before and Luke seems to get everyone's attention wherever he goes. Maybe it's his body or just his pretty face. "Why is everyone staring at us?" he whispers next to me. 

I chuckle, "they're actually staring at you," I tell him as I continue to answer questions.

"Why?" He asks raising his eyebrow. "Is there something in my face?" He takes his phone out and looks at his reflection. I look at him unbelievably, "what?" He asks.

"There's nothing in your face, they just think you're handsome," I chuckle. "I'm sure you know that," he looks around at everyone and frowns. I look over at him, he seems uncomfortable, he is the first person met that isn't happy with the attention. "You should be happy, not sad," I get up from my seat and turn in my papers. I then take a seat and wait to get out of here. I have work in an hour and just want to get out of here as soon as possible. 

"Just don't want people to stare at me."

"You're in a room full of pregnant and hormonal women. They're probably getting fucked by you in their mind right now," I say. He shakes his head and looks at me unbelievably. A nurse comes and calls my name, I smile and get up. She walks me into a room. 

"Dr. DuBois, Meg should be here in a few, let me just get you ready," she says. I nod my head. She takes my weight, I tell her not to tell me it. I'm afraid I am going to scream if I find out how much weight I've gained, I am not even showing that much yet. No one at work even knows I'm pregnant yet, I just wear bigger clothes to cover it up.