16

"Jake, I'm home!" I yell. I set my keys on the table by the door. I check my mail that was on the table. "Jake, you better be ready!" I yell again. I let out a deep breath and put my hands on my hips when I don't see Jake. "Jake, I'm tired and sleep deprived, let's go," I start to look around the house. After looking in almost every room, I find him in the living room playing video games. 

He has his headset on, probably why he didn't hear me. I tap his shoulders, he turns around in a hurry. After, he takes off the headset. "Hey," he greets me. "How was work?" He asks.

"Stop the small talk, Jacob," I say already knowing what he is trying to do. I didn't know he hated his grandmother that much. "Go get ready," I order pointing up the stairs. "Don't make me wait for more than ten minutes," I add. He groans and drags himself up the stairs.

I look out the glass window and see Christopher sitting out there, he's drinking again. It's funny that he is drinking so much; as a teenager, he would never drink. Even if we would go to parties, every teenager would be drinking except him. Well, I guess he couldn't since I was always getting drunk and he had to make sure I got home safe or my dad would blame him. "So, what was yesterday about? You shut me out when I was trying to tell you something," Luke says from behind me. I close my eyes hoping I was imagining this, I hear his feet approach me.

"Sorry?" I ask still not turning around. "But it's not like I didn't already know what you were going to say," I hate hearing things I already know for some odd reason.

"Maybe, but-" he pauses. He put his hand on my waist rubbing his thumb against it a little. I still had my scrubs on and my shirt rose a little making his hand touch my bare skin. I feel a spark when his skin touch mine, I pull up a little letting his hand go.

"Mom, I'm ready," Jake says coming down the stairs. He has his bag and his suit is on a hanger, I sigh and turn around facing Luke. I roll my eyes and walk to the door. I grab my keys and walk out the door entering the car. A few seconds later, Jake comes out taking a seat in the back. "I still don't get why I have to go her house," he says as I start the car. He says her with such a hateful tone.

"She's your grandmother," I inform him looking at the rearview mirror. I hate that woman so much, but she is Juan's mother whether I like it or not.

"So? Doesn't mean I have to like her," he says. I turn and look at him, he plays with his fingers, I sigh and don't know what to tell him anymore.

"Jake," I call him stopping at a red light, "why do you hate her?" I ask him. "Does she treat you bad when you go over there?" I ask him.

"No, it's not what she does. She bakes me cookies and rents movies for me, it's what she says," he says with a frown.

"What does she say to you?" I ask him getting a little defensive. The light turns green and I start driving again. He shrugs his shoulder and ignores me. "Jake," I call him. "What does that woman tell you?" I ask him. I out of all people know how that lady can say some pretty bad words. The last thing I need is her telling Jake he isn't good enough or some shit like that. I stop the car at the side of the road and put it on the park. "Jake," I call him. He looks up at me still playing with his fingers. "What does she say to you?" I ask again. "Does she say bad things?" I ask him.

"Not about me," he says after a while. 

"Okay then, what's the problem then?" I ask him. 

"He talks bad about you the whole time I'm there," he murmurs under his breath.

"Oh," I say. It's not a surprise that she talks bad about me, what's surprising is that she says it in front of Jake. I sigh and start the car up again, I turn around to head to Juan's house. If he wants him at the wedding, Juan's going have to take him for the night, I don't care. "You're going to your father's," I inform Jake. He nods his head and I continue driving.