Edge

Bettys POV

It has been one week since I got out of the hospital and mom still won't let me go to school or out her sight for that matter. I have to sit in my bed or down stairs on the couch with her because she is scared that something is going to happen to me, which I understand. She is just being protective. Jughead comes over everyday after school for an hour or two and we do homework together or just lay in my room together and talk.

He has had to go and see the serpents twice and he doesn't really talk about it. I feel bad that he joined them for me, he shouldn't have to. He tells me not to worry about it but I do because I really like him, I might even... I don't know. I'm just so grateful to have him in my life.

Speaking of jug he should be here in like ten minutes. I'm so excited to see him, I miss seeing him all day at school. I get up and brush my hair and put on a clean sweater and pair of jeans and then get back into bed.

I hear a knock at my door and my mom walks in and sits beside me on the bed.
"Hey mom".

"Betty, I've been thinking about something". She grabs my hand and holds it on her lap. "What if we leave". Leave? What does she mean?

"Huh"?

"What if we leave the serpents and Riverdale and we just go. We could go anywhere you want".

"Mom I can't leave Riverdale. Jughead just joined the serpents for me, I can't leave him mom".

"I know you don't want to but Betty I think it's what is best for you".

"Mom I love Jughead. I can't let him go through this alone. I can't abandon him". I pull my hand from hers. "What happened to you saying we were a team"?

"You love him"? My mom asks sounding shocked. I hadn't even realized I said that out loud. In this moment I know that I meant it though, I do love Jughead.

"Yes mom I do, and I won't leave him".

I hear someone knock on the door downstairs and I know it's him. I jump out of the bed and slip on my shoes and run down the stairs.

"Betty, wait"! I hear my mom sayin behind me but I don't care. I open the door and see him and my heart slows down a little.

"Take me somewhere jug".

"Okay". He looks confused but grabs my hand and leads me to his dads car. I get in and look at him.

"Where do you want to go"?

"Anywhere, just drive". With that he pulls out of my driveway and starts driving down the road. We are quiet but it's comfortable. It isn't an awkward silence it's peaceful I think it's what we both needed after the last two weeks.

I turn on the radio so I can just stop thinking for a little bit. Jughead looks over at me and places his hand on top of mine while still steering with the other.

"Whatever happened Betty, it's going to be okay". I smile at him and turn towards the window. Will it though? What if my mom makes me leave him? What would I do?

As I continue to look out the window I notice the car slow down and come to a stop. I take in my surroundings and see that we are at the edge of sweet water river. Jughead steps out of the car and I watch him as he walks around the front of the car to my side. He truly is the most handsome boy I have ever seen. He opens my door and takes my hand leading me out of the car and to the edge where we both sit with our feet dangling over the edge.

We sit there silently for what feels like ever but was actually just minutes. I turn to him and notice that he is watching the ripples in the water.

"Jug"? I ask breaking his focus. He turns his head towards me and his eyes meet mine. "I realized something today". He turns his body turns me more and holds my hand.

"What was it betts"?

"Ever since I moved to Riverdale you have been by my side. You were my first friend here, Archie and Veronica are always together, but you always made time for me". He smiles at me and I swear it takes my breath away but I continue. "Then whenever you became my boyfriend which I'm not even sure how it happened but I'm so grateful it did. You have stood by me through it all, through my deal with Penny, through the judgement at school. All of it". I squeeze his hand a little tighter because I'm scared of how he is going to react when I tell him this. "Jughead, I love you". He looks taken back but then he smiles at me with the biggest smile I have ever seen on his face.

"You mean that"?

"Of course I do".

"Betty Cooper, I love you too". He places a hand on my cheek and pulls me in for a kiss. When our lips touch I feel all the love we have for each other shoot through me and I don't want it to stop. I wrap my hands around the back of his neck and pull myself even closer to him. I want to be as close as I can to him. He pulls back first and I slowest open my eyes wanting to stay in that moment for just a few more seconds.

Jughead lays down against the grass and smiles up at me. I lay down beside him and lay my head and hand on his chest. I look at the sleeve of my sweater and notice that I'm not wearing my leather jacket and I feel a smile creep across my face. It feels nice to not wear it. The thought makes me think about Jughead and i realize that he is wearing his, and has been wearing it to school.

"Jughead, I know that there has been people talking about your jacket, there is not doubt about that. What have they been saying"? I want to be here for him. I want to help him if people are causing him any kind of pain I don't want him being hurt over something he did for me.

"It doesn't matter Betty, I'm fine". I can tell it's bothering him though.

"Please Jug just tell me". I place my hand on his chest and he lets out a long breath.

"They say that I shouldn't lower my reputation for a girl from the southside". Hearing those words come from his mouth hurts, even though I know he isn't the one who meant or thought it. I sit up and pull my knees to my chest. Jughead follows my actions and sits up, he wraps his arm around my back and rubs small circles on my arm.

"Betty, I don't care what they think. All I care about is me and you". I turn and face him.

"What if they are right Jughead? What if all I'm doing is bringing you down? I don't want to do that to you".

"Your not Betty. You make me happier than I've ever been. I may have been born on the northside of Riverdale but that doesn't mean that I think like them. You mean the world to me Betty. And I never ever want you to think that you are bringing me down". I feel a tear run down my face but before I completely falls Jughead wipes it away. "It's me and you Betts, forever".

I lean my head on his shoulder feeling comfort in his words. Jughead Jones truly is amazing. That word doesn't even seem big enough to fit him. As we sit we watch the sun slowly start to set and we sit there until it's completely gone and dark. Wrapped in each other's arms, sharing short-sweet kisses. And I've never felt more at home.

This might be my favorite chapter honestly. Thank you guys so much for all the love on my story! It get to 1k reads the other day so thank you guys so much🖤

I'll update soon!!