Christmas in Grimmauld Place

Start from the beginning

Dad is still alive. I am setting out for St. Mungo's now. Stay where you are, I will send news as soon as I can.

"Still alive..." George says slowly, looking around the table. "But that makes it sound..."

He doesn't need to finish the sentence for everyone in the room to understand what he means.

None of us speak for hours. We simply sit in a stiflingly uncomfortable silence. Sirius suggests that we all go to bed several times, but no one moves, speaking only occasionally to check the time. Sylvia does crawl into my lap and fall asleep around three in the morning though.

I can't recall ever sitting through a longer night than this. Suddenly, at ten past five in the morning Mrs. Weasley enters the kitchen looking extremely pale. Almost in sync, everyone - who is still awake at this point - turns to look at her and only then does she give us a warm smile.

"He's going to be alright. He's sleeping. We can all go and see him later. Bill's sitting with him now, he got the morning off work." Mrs. Weasley says.

Fred falls back into his chair with his hands over his face while George and Ginny get to their feet to give their mother a hug. Ron laughs shakily and downs the rest of his butterbeer. Guilt starts to eat me alive at the state of this family that I have so much love for, even though I know deep down that this wasn't my fault. I couldn't have attacked Mr. Weasley, I don't have fangs.

"Breakfast then?" Sirius asks cheerfully. "Kreacher! KREACHER! Oh forget it I'll make it myself - er, sorry Sylvia."

Sylvia shrugs as she sits up with a yawn. She turns to look at me as she notices Mrs. Weasley in the kitchen, an eyebrow raised.

"He's going to be alright." I whisper to her. She smiles and gets to her feet to go and talk to Ginny.

"Lets see then, sausages and eggs for... nine." Sirius mutters to himself as he counts the number of people in the room.

I stand and walk over to Fred who still has his face in his hands. I take the seat beside him and place a hand on his shoulder in a meager attempt to comfort him. He looks up at me and doesn't let another second pass before he's on his feet and pulling me into a hug.

"I'm so sorry, Fred." I whisper.

"It's not your fault," he replies, pulling me closer to him, "hell, if it weren't for you and Harry who knows what would have happened."

*

I finish wrapping the garland around the stair rail and sigh. I wish I could have gone with them to St. Mungo's but I promised Dumbledore, though I now regret it. I'm not a child that needs to be watched at all times to ensure that I don't make a mess of things. I have learned my lesson.

"Have you finished with the garland?" Sirius calls from downstairs.

"Just now." I reply, shaking my thoughts away and walking into the kitchen. I drop the excess garland on the large table.

"Come and help me with the tree then." Sirius suggests.

I shrug and walk over to the living room, past piles of magical glittering snow on the carpet, to where Sirius is surrounded by boxes of Christmas decorations. He's very excited to have some company for the holidays. The moment everyone left for the hospital he went into full Christmas Spirit mode, wanting to surprise the Weasley's, Harry, and Sylvia upon their arrival.