First Day, Last Year

"Look at today!" Ron exclaims as we walk by him, Harry, and Hermione at the Gryffindor table.. "We've got Binns, Snape, Trelawney, and that Umbridge woman all in one day! I wish Fred and George'd hurry up and get those Skiving Snackboxes sorted..."

"Do mine ears decieve me?" Fred smirks, coming to a stop and sitting down on the bench next to his younger brother. George, McKenna and I follow his lead. "Hogwarts prefects surely don't want to skive off lessons?"

"Look what we've got today!"Ron insists grumpily, pushing his schedule into Fred's view. "That's the worst Monday I've ever seen!"

"Fair point, little bro." Fred nods, scanning the column. "You can have a bit of nosebleed nougat cheap if you like."

I try to hide my laugh as I load my plate with fruit.

"Why's it cheap?" Ron asks suspiciously.

"Because you'll keep bleeding till you shrivel up, we haven't got an antidote yet." George says cheerfully, helping himself to a kipper.

"Cheers," Ron mumbles moodily. "but I think I'll take the lessons."

"And speaking of your Skiving Snackboxes," Says a boy with long black hair that I don't recognize, popping out from behind George's shoulder. "I need a ton-tongue-toffee, now."

"We haven't got an antidote yet, your victim would have to be healed professionally." George shrugs. I stare at the boy, he's about my age. I try to figure out if I've seen him before.

"That's perfect, I wouldn't mind him missing a couple day's worth of classes." The boy shrugs.

"Alright then, two sickles." Fred replies, holding out his hand for the coins.

"Two sickles it is." The boy says and hands over the silver. George hands him a sweet wrapped in red plastic.

"Pleasure doing business." Fred smirks and shakes the boy's hand.

"Indeed." The boy grins at the sweet. "I've got plans for this."

"Whatever you're going to do, I'd better hear about it!" George calls.

"Don't worry, you will!" The boy replies with a wink.

"Who was that?" I ask, turning to Fred, but keeping an eye on the mystery boy as he walks away.

"What? Oh, that's Edward Ripple, friend of ours." Fred shrugs.

"Bit odd, that one." George laughs. I watch as the boy extends an arm and an apple flies into his hand as he passes the Ravenclaw table. How did he do that?

"How is it possible that I've never met him before?" I ask turning back to stare at Fred. McKenna looks back and forth between the three of us, shakes her head, and returns her attention to her food.

"I don't know, we've talked about him before, he's in Gryffindor." Fred says.

"Maybe you just don't pay attention." George suggests. I roll my eyes.

*

After breakfast, I find Sylvia at the Hufflepuff table to make sure that she's alright and knows what classes she needs to go to today.

"Vanessa!" She all but yells as I walk over to her at the Hufflepuff table. "Have you seen my book 'The Standard Book of Spells, Grade One'? I can't find it anywhere, and I have Charms first today. What do I do? I can't show up to class without the book! I'm going to fail!"

"Sylv," I say calmly, she continues digging through her school bag in desperation. I take her arm and pull it into her view. "Sylv, its in your hand."