The Unexpected Letter

AN: I know the songs a bit of a stretch but I like how the chorus relates so just enjoy the song and chapter. :)

~

The rest of the night passes relatively smoothly, with no sudden topic changes or awkward moments and soon it's time for bed. Fred pulls me out of Ginny's room to say goodnight.

"I'm sorry about dinner, mum gets easily excited." He says.

"It's alright, she just surprised me, no harm done." I shrug.

Fred smiles. "I thought she may ask those type of questions, considering she thought I'd never fall for anyone, and that she's absolutely ecstatic that it's you. Did I mention I'm in love?"

"With a mental girl, yes." I say, a smile breaking over my face. Then I laugh. "I hear she's obsessed with gravy."

The stress and pain left from the events of the day fade away and I feel warm and safe, and happy for the first time since the end of the school year, and laughing seems to lift a heavy weight off of my shoulders.

"No, stop that. Don't laugh. This is the part where you say 'I love you too Fred! You're hilarious and a great kisser and you're much better looking than George and-'" He says in a ridiculously high pitched voice. I cut him off before he can finish though.

I stand on tiptoe and press my lips against his. It's a short, sweet kiss and when I pull away I rest my head against Fred's chest in a half successful attempt at a hug.

Fred says nothing, just wraps me in his arms and leans down so that we're cheek to cheek. We stay like this for a while and I close my eyes, enjoying this single blissful moment.

"You two had better get to bed." Mrs. Weasley calls from the bottom of the stairs. "It'll be a long day tomorrow."

"We'll go in a moment. I promise." I say, pulling away from Fred's embrace. Molly walks out of sight.

"Well, goodnight, Fred." I smile. Then, thoughtfully I add, "I love you."

"I love you too." He winks. I smile and lean into kiss him on the cheek but he turns his head at the last second, catching the sides of my face and pulling me to him for another short kiss.

"How did I know you would pull something like that?" I laugh as we break away.

"You know me too well." He grins lopsidedly.

"You're right." I smile in return, and with that, I disappear into Ginny's room.

"What are you lot doing?" I ask, laying down on the bed I'll be using tonight and watching Ginny and Sylvia whispering to each other by the window with their backs to the door.

"Ginny's just been telling me all about what she's learned in Astronomy classes. She's brilliant." Sylvia says. I can tell by her tone that she's smiling.

"Right well don't take too much longer to get into bed alright? I'm going to bed." I say. Then I blow out the candles, knowing that they won't mind.

*

"Sylvia will you pass the butter?" I ask. Silv passes me the butter dish and I spread some on top of my fried bread. I swear, Molly Weasley makes the best food I've ever tasted in my life. My mother will never have to know that. "Thank you, Silv."

"You'll need to hurry and finish your breakfast dears, we'll need to leave for Diagon Alley as soon as we're finished, then it's off to headquarters. Make sure you're all packed." Molly says, looking anxious.

"I get to go to Diagon Alley with you lot?" Sylvia whispers excitedly.

"Yes, you'll love it!" I whisper back.

There are a few moments of silence when everyone focuses on their food. Then the silence is broken once again.

"Do we need to bring our trunks with us to Diagon Alley?" I wonder aloud.

"Yes, we'll have to, but we can have Tom, the innkeeper of the Leaky Couldron, look after them for us while we do our shopping." Molly assures me.

"Okay, I just didn't want to have to drag it all over the alley."

"I understand dear."

"Mum, how are we going to be getting to-" Ron begins but is suddenly cut off by the sound of a large thump against the window, then the sudden appearance of an owl above the kitchen table. Everyone knows this means that someone has magical mail, but no one expects the letter clutched in the owl's claws to be dropped in Sylvia's lap.

"Silv?" I ask quietly. She stares wide-eyed at the letter now in her hands, and I recognize the Hogwarts seal. Sylvia tosses the letter to me.

"That can't be mine." She says. The room has gone silent.

I take a deep breath and open the letter and read aloud.

"Miss Sylvia Redwood, I am pleased to inform you that you have been accepted into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry-" I'm cut off by Sylvia's scream of excitement, but I don't need to read any more any way. The room fills with noise again, as everyone around the table congratulates Silv. I however, can't do anything but stare at the letter in shock and realization. Dumbledore let Sylvia come with me because he knew she was a witch. And I won't have to worry about her safety while I'm at school because she'll be right there with me.

Then the situation really sinks in and i realize that Sylvia is a witch and she isn't really even related to me. What are the odds of that happening?

"Vanessa, I'm a witch! I'm like you!" Sylvia squeals, clutching my sleeve.

"I know." I whisper, a smile slowly taking over my face. I reach over and hug her. "I'm so happy for you!"

"Now you can be proud of me like mom and dad were proud of you!" She exclaims, grinning from ear to ear.

"Sylvia, I'll be proud of you no matter what!"