Educational Decrees

"Hem, hem," Ginny clears her throat, interrupting Hermione and Luna's argument in such a good imitation of Umbridge that nearly everyone in the room jumps in surprise, looking around in alarm. Ginny laughs quietly at look on everyone's faces. "Weren't we trying to decide how often we're going to meet and get Defense lessons?"

"Yes," Hermione says at once, her face flushing as she awkwardly continues. "yes, we were, you're right..."

We all eventually come to the decision that we should meet weekly, and the topic of discussion shifts to where the meetings will take place.

"Library?" Katie Bell suggests.

"I can't see Madam Pince being too chuffed with us doing jinxes in the library," Harry replies quickly.

"Maybe an unused classroom?" Dean asks with a shrug.

"I doubt we would have the space, or privacy we'd need in a classroom. Anyone could walk right in and see what we're doing." Lani says, thinking out loud.

"Right, well, we'll try to find somewhere. We'll send a message round to everyone when we've got a time and a place for the first meeting." Hermione says, rummaging in her bag until she retrieves parchment and a quill.

"I-I think everybody should write their name down, just so we know who was here." Hermione continues, taking a deep breath. "But I also think that we all ought to agree not to shout about what we're doing. So if you sign, you're agreeing not to tell Umbridge -- or anybody else -- what we're doing."

Fred reaches out to take the parchment and quill from her immediately, cheerfully putting his signature down and passing it to me. I sign the paper without hesitation and pass it to McKenna who signs it and passes it to George, who signs it and repeatedly tries to pass it to Zacharias, who refuses to take it.

"Well, er, I'm sure Ernie will tell me when the meeting is." Smith stutters.

Immediately Zacharias, Ernie, Hermione, Ron, and Harry begin to fight about whether or not it's worth putting their name of the sheet of parchment because all but Harry are prefects.

"Stop it." Lani says, getting to her feet and glaring directly at Zacharias and Ernie before snatching the parchment and quill from George and signing her name. "You lot may be prefects, but I'm the Head Girl and I've signed because I trust Harry and Hermione and you should too. Do you think the parchment will be left around for just anyone to stumble upon? Honestly!"

Lani forces Smith the take the signed parchment and quill and he grumpily signs it. No one else complains. When the last person signs the paper, Hermione takes it back and slips it carefully back into her bag.

"Well, time's ticking on." Fred says briskly, getting to his feet and pulling me with him. "George, Vanessa, McKenna, and I have got items of a sensitive nature to purchase. We'll be seeing you all later."

And with that, Fred leads the way out of the dank bar. Lani, Sylvia, and Edward follow after us until we start veering back towards Zonko's and Lani wishes us luck before returning to the castle.

*

Fred's POV:

The sun is just barely starting to set as we leave Hogsmeade, and we decide to wander around the grounds until curfew. As we come up on the black lake, I turn to look at George and wink. He returns it.

I fall a few steps behind Vanessa, then run up behind her and scoop her into my arms.

"Oi! What do you think you're doing?" She yells, though she's laughing.