Departure and Arrival

When I wake up, I go downstairs and find Lani and McKenna waiting for me, and I'm glad to see that they're acting like nothing happened last night.

"Oh, you're up!" Lani exclaims, getting to her feet. "We were just going to visit Hagrid again."

"Yeah, I'm keen to see Peak again." McKenna grins.

"What about breakfast?" I ask, staring incredulously at McKenna, who may love food and sleep more than she likes Lani and I.

"We can get some at the Three Broomsticks." She shrugs.

"Oh, alright." I nod. "Let's go."

"Do you want to change out of your pajamas first?" Lani asks, gesturing to my pink and purple plaid pajamas.

"Oh, right." I give a laugh and wave my wand, turning my pajamas into some casual muggle clothing.

McKenna, Lani, and I exit the common room and head down the marble staircases, past the Great Hall, and out of the castle, towards Hagrid's hut.

"You know, if every day is as good as yesterday, these two weeks by ourselves may actually be fun." McKenna says enthusiastically as she knocks on Hagrid's door.

Fang begins barking enthusiastically, and we hear a large crashing noise from inside the hut before Hagrid opens the door.

"Oh, it's you three." Hagrid mumbles mostly to himself. "Come in, I've got to explain a few things to ya'."

Lani, McKenna, and I walk inside the hut to find it nearly empty, with a huge trunk open on the floor and nearly overflowing.

"Hagrid, why are you packing?" Lani is the first to speak as we sit down at the table.

Hagrid throws a few more items into the trunk before attempting to latch it closed.

"I'm going away for a while, on Dumbledore's orders." Hagrid grunts, still trying to close the trunk.

"You haven't been sacked have you?" McKenna asks, looking worried.

"No, no." Hagrid replies, now resorting to sitting on the lid of the trunk, still trying to force it closed. "I'll be doing some important work for Dumbledore that he reckons no one else can do. But I can't tell you no more about it."

"But what about your classes?" Lani asks.

"Professor Grubblyplank'll be takin' over for me while I'm away, but I'll teach again when I get back." Hagrid says, now standing to look at us, having finally closed the trunk.

"But we'll still get to see Peak right? The seventh years are going to raise him right?" McKenna asks.

"Well... no." Hagrid says, looking guilty as he sits down across from us at the table. "Professor Grubblyplank has decided that seventh years should be learning about more advanced magical creatures than unicorns, and so she's saving Peak for the fourth years."

"What?" McKenna yells, standing up. "But we've never learned about unicorns!"

"Er, I know, but you can still ask to see Peak if you like, and you'll be learning about really exciting creatures, like Thestrals." Hagrid replies, looking uncomfortable.

McKenna looks down and glares at her hands childishly.

"But what about these two weeks while we're here on our own?" I ask, speaking for the first time since we've arrived. "Will we have to spend all of our time with Professor Grubblyplank?"

"I'm 'fraid so." Hagrid replies. McKenna begins banging her head on the table. "And I've got to go now, so you three should head back up to the castle."